mame and sfIII?

ROM not loading? Computer crashing? discuss it here

mame and sfIII?

Postby ivwshane on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:17 pm

Anyone know when this game will be emulated or what the hold up is (I'm guessing protection) or does anyone know if anyone (razoola) is working on decrypting it?

The reason I ask is because I'm getting sick of playing it on my xbox, I just want to smash the controller to pieces because it sucks so bad. The d-pad on the xbox controller was clearly an after thought and it's pissing me off.

Do I have issues? Probably, but sf is my favorite game (all of them) and it's impossible to enjoy a game if the control just isn't there.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Class316 on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 pm

yes I believe there's a CD that protects the roms and that is the main thing holding back emulation.

I suppose if you want SF3 get the DC version.
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:55 am

Other way round actually, the CDs hold the data and the ROM cartridge is there to stop people pirating the games.

Aside from the encyption and protection issues, nobody seems to know the exact specifics of the CPS3 hardware and the boards are apparently so volatile that any attempt at reverse engineering or trojaning would most likely kill them stone dead.

Your best bet will be to either get a stick for your X-Box or wait for DC emulation to get moving again.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby ivwshane on Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:28 am

SfIII for dc does work fine with chankast....

Anyone know how sfIII on DC compares to the arcade?
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:41 am

Its almost the same hardware isnt it?? Well if not I'd expect the DC version to be pretty much the same with slightly less frames for each character.

Ivw why dont you look online at the sites that sell custom leads and things. I swear I've seen sites that have Xbox to PS2 converters and things like that so you can use any pad you like on pretty much any system.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:58 pm

ivwshane wrote:SfIII for dc does work fine with chankast....

The game itself is more or less fine, but you'll notice after a while that Chankast's lack of proper throttling means that the excess framerate can fubar the control timing on a game as tight as SF3.

Thats why I said wait for DC emu to improve some more rather then go and play it now, that and the lack of video options beyond the required basics is what stops me from permantly migrating to 3rd Strike from SSF2 and A2.

Unfortunatly Chankast seems to be dead in the water at the moment, so that may be some time coming.

ivwshane wrote:Anyone know how sfIII on DC compares to the arcade?

Apparently its not quite arcade perfect engine wise, but not to a degree that you'll notice unless your a competition-grade player. Can't comment myself since i've never even seen an SF3 machine.

Silverhaze wrote:Its almost the same hardware isnt it??

Nope, you getting it confused with NAOMI (as used for MvsC2, the two CvsS games and Z3U).
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:11 pm

Yeah you're right. I knew something didnt feel right about that.

I think the DC version would be really sweet with a decent controller. I cant stand those blister inducing things.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:18 pm

Been waiting for SFIII, MvsC2 and CAPvsSNK2 as well. It's a shame there isn't a buzz around these games like there was with the CPS2 back in 2001. Remember there would be a new game every week?

Been playing SF Alpha 3. It's pretty damn good actualy, if not a little dated....
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby RabidYak on Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:06 pm

Alpha 3 is like Street Fighter for dummies, its so loose and mashy that you don't even have to be good at fighting games to play it to a passable standard.

A2 is where its at in that series. Its relatively easy to get into without it being at the expense of the skill, the character roster is probably the most balanced in the franchise outside of SSF2T and the CPU can actually put up a decent fight.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:50 am

I agree Yak, SFA2 was great. More to it than SFA1, but not so much crammed in like SFA3. Some of the characters were added in there just to say they had more characters I think

And the announcer, MAKE HIM STOP
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:09 am

I'll have to give these another go. I always liked Alpha 1 because I could actually pull off the specials.

I think Im going to have to look up how to do all those specials. With Ken/Ryu I've tried every combination of buttons and movements I can to do a level 3 super move but cant.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:03 am

RabidYak wrote:Alpha 3 is like Street Fighter for dummies, its so loose and mashy that you don't even have to be good at fighting games to play it to a passable standard.

A2 is where its at in that series. Its relatively easy to get into without it being at the expense of the skill, the character roster is probably the most balanced in the franchise outside of SSF2T and the CPU can actually put up a decent fight.

Very true. I understand that there is a version called "Street Fighter Alpha 2 ZERO which had a few more extras in.

Even with all the later releases, nothing beats Street Fighter II Turbo. It's just too damn good.

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:15 pm

I havent played SF2T in an age!! I think I got used to air blocking and things like that but on my SNES I used to play that game on full speed on full difficulty without losing a round. THose days are well gone lol
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:33 pm

Silverhaze wrote:I havent played SF2T in an age!! I think I got used to air blocking and things like that but on my SNES I used to play that game on full speed on full difficulty without losing a round. THose days are well gone lol

My mate still has half a SNES (you wouldn't believe the state it's in after the beatings it's been through) and we still play Super Mario Kart and Street Fighter II Turbo, so I've managed to keep up my skills to some sort of order.

The other day I was thinking I would quite like to go to an arcade and see some "pro" players, but the only place I can think of in London is Sega World. Is that still around?

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:44 pm

Im not sure if it is actually. I think theres some sort of shit going on in the Trocadero still but Im not sure if Sega world is still there. You wouldnt get any SF2 machines in there though I bet and you definitely wouldnt see any pro players in there. Its full of tourists and kiddies with more money than sense.

Same with Namco World, yeah its great if you got £3.50 to spend on a single credit for some of the games. Minimum play price is £1

I wanna see some world class battles too. I wouldnt mind watching vids of them.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:59 pm

Silverhaze wrote:I'll have to give these another go. I always liked Alpha 1 because I could actually pull off the specials.

I woulden't bother with A1, its basically an unfinished version of A2 they pushed out of the door to hold ground against MK3.

Silverhaze wrote:I think Im going to have to look up how to do all those specials. With Ken/Ryu I've tried every combination of buttons and movements I can to do a level 3 super move but cant.

You need to hit all 3 punches or kicks at the end of the command rather then just one. Unless your playing pussy A3, in which case you just need to press Fierce or Roundhouse.

Zep wrote:Very true. I understand that there is a version called "Street Fighter Alpha 2 ZERO which had a few more extras in.

Nothing dramatic, just Evil Ryu and alternate versions of some characters that play more like their SF2 versions.

The home versions from SF Collection have a few more odds and ends, most notably they added Cammy to the 2-Player mode.

Silverhaze wrote:I havent played SF2T in an age!! I think I got used to air blocking and things like that but on my SNES I used to play that game on full speed on full difficulty without losing a round. THose days are well gone lol

Playing too much Alpha can make you suck at SF2, the mod cons make you careless and your timing looser without you even noticing. I try to make a point of playing as much SSF2 as I do A2 so I don't loose it again.

Silverhaze wrote:I wanna see some world class battles too. I wouldnt mind watching vids of them.

Heres a link I found buried in my favorites. Mainly SF3 and Marvel vids, but some of it is pretty good stuff -

http://www.zachd.com/mvc2/
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Zep on Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:12 pm

THIS THREAD IS SAVED BY LESBIANS

Image[code][/code]

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby RabidYak on Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Bah, show me some Street Fighter playing lesbians and i'll be impressed.

Just as a reminder since everybody seems to be pining for Hyper Fighting, you need to underclock CPU0 to 65% in MAME to make it run at its proper speed. Something to do with some undocumented bodge that Capcom did on the board to control the speed that nobody has ever got round to investigating.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby ivwshane on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:27 am

Thanks RabidYak, now I feel like a loser:(

I love alpha 3! I don't think the controls are loose but spot on, which is why I like it, it does exactly what I want when I want it. The other street fighter games require too perfect control and timing to pull off moves.

The only thing I don't like about sfa3 is the super moves cause way to much damage and are a little too easy to pull off.

My other favorit sf game is ssfII the new challengers, it has a similar control feel as sfa3.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:43 am

Hooray for lesbians. Well....those that do it for us blokes anyway.

Right, this weekend Im gonna get on romnation and get all the SF games. btw how much are those ArcadeX things going for these days? I still wanna own one of those beauties.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:07 pm

ivwshane wrote:Thanks RabidYak, now I feel like a loser:(

No need for that if you can play Super and SF3, you actually need some timing and skill to get anywhere in either of those.

A3's input crossed the line between serious fighting games and novelty ones in my opinion. The mashy controls and easy supers made it play more like the Marvel games then an actual Street Fighter title, which Capcom seemed to have realised since they are even adding a tag mode to the PSP version.

Silverhaze wrote:Right, this weekend Im gonna get on romnation and get all the SF games. btw how much are those ArcadeX things going for these days? I still wanna own one of those beauties.

£100 for 2-Player, £75 for single and £25 for adaptors.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:59 am

Only £100!!! Shit man!

I might have to get one of those soon. 2 player of course and man that would OWN with the Dreamcast adaptor!!
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:15 pm

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk are the current UK distributers if you are looking at getting one. I had no problem with them when I got my replacement encoder and you can phone them up if don't want to order on thier site.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Next

Return to Emulation Woes