Anybody care to help a Traveller?

Your non electronic life.

Moderator: RabidYak

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Mar 18, 2002 3:39 pm

Hello to the gang from Sunny Oz. Anybody know anything about buying a second hand car?

I know bugger all about it and dont wanna end up with some shitty bomb thats gonna leave me stranded in the middle of a desert.

So....

Any advice on what to look out for would be very very helpful in keeping me and the missus alive [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks fellas
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby ivwshane on Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:39 pm

What type of car? Like an suv or a sedan type? And why are you buying a car down there? Are you going to move there for good?

Of course always check the overall condition of a the vehicle, look for any major signs of damage. If the car looks like it's in really good shape then check the area aound the door (like by the hinges). By looking in there you can get a good idea of how well the car was kept. Check out how many miles it has, a car that averages 15,000 miles a year is good anything less is better. So if you have a 1990 vehicle with 300,000 miles on it (Oh wait I forgot you use KM not miles, well you will have to do some convrting) that would average 25,000 miles a year, that's quite alot. Also ask what how the car was normally driven, ie: freeway or city, freeway is ideal (I think you guys have a different name for freeway). Next check the engine compartment and look for any signs of fluid leaks, like a layer of grimmey oil, that might indicate problems. If you can check the air filter, if it hasn't been changed in a while that might be a clue into how the vehicle was taken care of. It may not be a problem down there but you should check underneath the car, like around the wheelwell and directly underneath the door hinge pillar, for any signs of rust. Always test drive it and test out all of the gears to make sure they are smooth and you don't get any wierd noises while shifting or any sudden jerks. Test the brakes out and see how they feel, they shouldn't feel spongee or sink when you press on them for a while. Test out the eletrical system as well, like head lights, turn signals, radio, gage cluster, you don't want to have to fix that later nor do you want to get a ticket for it either.

That should be a good start for you. Oh and I don't know if it's possible down there but you may want to check the VIN number to see if it's a lemon or not.

Where's the pics!
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Jewboy on Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:29 pm

Cars in N.S.W must go through a yearly inspection, If its close to the date of re - registration then it most likely needs work. The cost of cars there is more expensive due to high insurance requirement, I think cars from Victoria might be cheaper just make sure it has a road worthy certificate. Cars over this side are a little more expensive but there is no yearly inspection.
Jewboy
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:11 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll bear that in mind and also try to sign up to some road side service firm for 6 months or so.

That could help.

Right, well wish me luck in not purchasing a heap. I think most of the cars out there should last at least 6 months without having any major problems.

We'll see.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Jewboy on Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:49 am

If you sign up with the NRMA,VAC or RAC depending on which state your in (roadside assistance), the also do inspections. Might only be for full insurance customers but worth asking about.
Jewboy
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Return to Real Life