Making a CV

Your non electronic life.

Moderator: RabidYak

Making a CV

Postby Zep on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:29 pm

I need help making a CV which I can give to shops like HMV, Virgin Megastore, Game etc etc. I haven't a clue how to make a cv which is eye catching or anything like. Can you guys give me some pointers?
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:19 pm

I didn't really have any place to start with my resume, I just looked at web sites for tips and asked some friends for some help :)

http://www.cvtips.com/how_to_write_a_CV.html

It really got the ball rolling when I found a resume template for OpenOffice
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:32 am

Yeah that can be tricky Zep.

Many jobs require a 'tailored' CV that shows just the things relavent to them, or at least makes them more prominent.

I basically have a generic CV though but for HMV etc you would want to highlight your 'Customer focused skills', and things like communication, workign well under pressure and to tight deadlines. Flexibility and ability to learn new things quickly yadda yadda.

Mine follows a basic layout like this:

Name top centre followed by personal details.

Then the skills profile where you mention things like what I mentioned before and relating to previous experience.
You could put under teamwork something like: My permanent employment with 'Whoever' was extremely team oriented and involved working within single teams and other teams within the organisation.
Many of my college projects and assignments relied on group participation and long term team work.

Comminication you can mention your people skills and where you got them and ability to work well on the phone and things like that.

Under motivation I usually write some crap about being able to work well both on my own and as part of a team.

Then you go onto your work experience. I dont really go too far back and use experience more relavent to the job you're going for but dont make it look like there have been huge gaps between each job if you can help it. Education is fine as a gap but they start asking why theres a 6 month gap between job A and job B then you might start to come unstuck ;)
I was unemployed for 6 months, thats always a pain in the arse to explain.

Education is easy enough, put as much detail as you can and finally just a little bit about your interests. I usually put scuba diving as I have a diver's qualification. Looks like you're into learning more, then I put skiing, reading and keeping my IT skills up to scratch. Makes you look fit, healthy, active and all that crap that Im just not LOL
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:06 pm

Thanks very much for the pointers guys.

It's a bit difficult for me to find work in places like this because the only experience I have is either as a builder, gardiner or musician. I simply can't do labouring work any more and working in a computer game shop (with all the lovely disscounts) would be cool to the bone.
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:36 pm

Ok theres potential there!!

Of course when you worked as a gardener you obviously took bookings over the phone, ordered equipment and resources from external suppliers and dealt with customers face to face.

Any problems that occured were dealt with quickly and efficiently too I'd expect!

Your experience as a musician enhanced your teamworking skills and it was probably down to you to organise everybody for practice sessions, book studio time and deal with marketing for gigs eh? ;)

Theres some things like that musician stuff that work better in interviews since you can get a little informal and chatty sometimes if you get a good interviewer. The first bit about the gardening can be worked into a CV though.

Its always a tricky situation moving into a different job. CAnt get the job cos you dont have experience, cant get experience cos you dont have the job! Catch-22.

Always takes a certain amount of blagging though.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Real Life