Card help

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Card help

Postby adidas on Sun Jul 01, 2001 5:56 am

That's a damn good question, and if you ever find the answer, let me know. My hard drive is split into c,d,e,f drives, and I've always wondered about that since I partitioned it.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Card help

Postby Damian on Sun Jul 01, 2001 8:39 am

Yeah Adidas is 100% right I have done this at least 20 times even before 95 (I used to use *.* back then though). But I had the drivers on another disk. Anyway, only format if you believe it will give you an advantage because I guarantee you will spend at least 6/12 hours setting everything up the way it was again (depends on how complicated I suppose..)

P.S

Nebula is shit.
HAHA ok maybe not shit, but I tried the latest version on the 750 yesterday and it ran slow.

[ 01 July 2001: Message edited by: DamianMoran ]
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Card help

Postby adidas on Sun Jul 01, 2001 6:48 pm

6 1/2 HOURS?? Not on a decent speed PC. From the time I type format C: to the time my PC is set up exactly the way it was before, only about 30 minutes pass.

In fact, a friend of mine brought his PC to work for me to format and I did it in my 40 minute lunch period. And that was only on a 333 P2 with a 24x cd-rom.

[ 01 July 2001: Message edited by: adidas ]
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Card help

Postby Damian on Sun Jul 01, 2001 6:51 pm

NoNoNo I was talking about the process of getting everything back the way it used to be, exactly as you had it. It takes a while as everytime you think you've done it, you use it for a while and then suddenly one app which was meant to be opening onto another reports that it will have to open up to the one that you don't want it to and so you have to make another change etc. Oh yes, formatting it pretty quick as long as you don't have too much crap on the drive.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Card help

Postby adidas on Sun Jul 01, 2001 6:55 pm

Oh, I see. I barely even notice when I take anything off of my computer, I hardly use it for anything else aside from emulation and checking email anymore.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Card help

Postby jurucyber on Sun Jul 01, 2001 7:07 pm

Thanks for that,but i have additional problems;

The Pc vendor never actually suppied me (or so they claim) a OEM Win98 SE,just the system restore pack with the win98 "ghost"
image on it.I did use that but Win still refuses to accept either my older voodoo2 or ATI cards,and there isnt a option in the BIOS to change the settings,either.They confirmed this,and there isnt even a AGP slot on the motherboard! Its a HAMR slot.

The engineer who replaced the hard drive when it failed,said so himself that there should have been a version of win98 included,not just the restore pack,but they (the vendors ) are just fucking around .They wont even cover a motherbopard upgrade in the damned warranty,otherwise i would have threw out that garbage Intel board long ago.

The ironic thing is,The voodoo card worked fine BEFORE the new HD was installed ,
although it was using win95 drivers.

I just get the feeling ive been messed around with. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

[ 01 July 2001: Message edited by: jurucyber ]
jurucyber
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Card help

Postby Damian on Sun Jul 01, 2001 7:16 pm

The fucking bastards! [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

How dare they give that ghost bollocks, that is exactly what happened with my father's 1.1 laptop them said urrr there is a ghost image of windows, but what happens if it fucking blows up?

I only wanted the copy so I could put it on my PC which had W95 at the time. Ended up buying it (yes I know that is not a word ;P).
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Card help

Postby jurucyber on Sun Jul 01, 2001 11:48 pm

The company in question are Tiny computers.
They used to be cool with upgrades and such,
but now are so damned cost-effective they couldnt care less.

Never buying from them again.
jurucyber
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Card help

Postby adidas on Mon Jul 02, 2001 3:47 am

I found that the best deal was for me to build my pc. I shopped around for parts, and paid only 1000$ total for my pc when I saw similar ones selling for 1700$

[ 01 July 2001: Message edited by: adidas ]
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Card help

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jul 03, 2001 2:35 pm

Fuck Tiny, Fuck PC World, Fuck Time Computers. Oh, and fuck Dell too!! THose are my reccomendations.

As for formatting, I've always used FDISK as I found it to be more thorough than anything else. I think you can format by partition too otherwise I'd go for a professional formatting prog by Norton or somthing similar. I tried simply FORMAT C: on my dad's pc and it did nothing. That IS a Pc World hunk of shit though.

You really need to track down all those glide dll files though Zep if you arnt planning a format. If you are like me and have all manner of things on your PC, a format is out of the question. Go to the glide site and get a list of the files in their driver packs and search your HD for them. Also remember that if you want to overwrite the Nvidia drivers with a reinstallation from your supplied CD be careful. Mine simply re-wrote the drivers along side my existing ones fooling windows into thinking I had 2 cards. Not good.

Good thing I have Go Back.

Good luck.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Previous

Return to PC Games/Applications