Best newsreader?

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Best newsreader?

Postby adidas on Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:52 am

Somebody help a newsgroup newbie...

What is the best newsreader? Not Newsbin, I tried it and didn't like it.

I'm looking for something that I can easily sort through thousands of posts with, and will re-connect to the net when I get cut off.

Currently I'm using Newsgrabber but it's hard to sort through the posts to find what I want.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Best newsreader?

Postby M on Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:01 am

What exactly are you getting out of newsgroups? Sounds interesting.

Post link for Mikey please! [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]
M
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Best newsreader?

Postby ivwshane on Wed Mar 20, 2002 9:50 am

I think your best bet is to go to download.com and just read throught the user opinions.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Best newsreader?

Postby Megaman X on Wed Mar 20, 2002 6:41 pm

Aren't roms in newsgroups?
Megaman X
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Best newsreader?

Postby adidas on Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:22 am

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I got NewsPro which seems to be what I'm looking for... except I downloaded some files last night and I can't find where they went. I used the search feature in Explorer, I browsed My Computer, I just can't find them.

I feel like an idiot for not being able to find these files on my own damn computer... Maybe I ought to just stick with Newsgrabber [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

YM: I'm downloading cartoons off of alt.binaries.multimedia.cartoons

Homer: Hell yeah there's ROMs in newsgroups.

Some good groups for ROMs are:

alt.binaries.emulators.misc
alt.binaries.emulators.nintendo
alt.binaries.emulators.sega

edit:

Ok, I figured out that instead of just clicking 'download' in NewsPro, you have to click 'download & save'

[ 21 March 2002: Message edited by: adidas ]
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Best newsreader?

Postby geesehoward on Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:10 am

two questions

1. how do i set up my server in newspro?

2. how do i download from usenet?
geesehoward
PCB General
PCB General

Best newsreader?

Postby adidas on Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:38 pm

I'll assume you haven't downloaded from newsgroups before-

NewsPro does not have a very user-friendly GUI. But, I've managed to figure out how to get what I need using it. There are friendlier newsreaders available, but since you asked, here goes.....

To set up your server, start NewsPro, look on the far left hand side of the screen. There is a window that has four tabs underneath it.
Find the one that looks like a satellite, and click it. Right click "Servers" and click "New Server." If your server requires a login, you'll have to go to the server properties and enter it.

Now, to download files, you'll have to find which newsgroup you want, for example, alt.binaries.emulators.nintendo

So go to the newsgroup tab (next to the server tab, looks like books) Then go under File, New Newsgroup (at the top menu) and enter your information in the box that appears in the newsgroup window.

Next you have to download the headers, which can take a while. Right click your newsgroup's name, click open. If that doesn't download the headers automatically, you'll have to right click the ng's name again and click "Get New Headers"

Wait for that to finish, and once it does, you can browse the newsgroup or use one of the functions in NewsPro to filter out what you want (under the Edit menu)

When you find what you want, select all the threads with the attatchments you need (they'll be clearly labeled 1 of 10, 2 of 10 etc) Then right click them, and click "Download & Save Attatchments" If you get that far, you can figure out the rest, I'm sure.

btw, I've only been doing this for a couple weeks. If you have problems Sabin or RabidYak may be able to help you more. Although Sabin isn't around much....

[ 21 March 2002: Message edited by: adidas ]
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to PC Games/Applications