Valve gives free games to ATI Radeon owners

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Valve gives free games to ATI Radeon owners

Postby DonCatoli on Thu May 31, 2007 9:27 am

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33892256

DOUG LOMBARDI from Valve just gave us the nod that this game developer/publisher from Seattle reached an agreement with DAAMIT. The cooperation will result in owners of ATI Radeon cards getting some content unlocked.

To be more precise, Half Life 2: Lost Coast tech demo and Half Life 2: Multiplayer are unlocked and free for all the folk with ATI cards carrying "Radeon" moniker. Owners of ATi Radeon HD 2900XT will get that cancelled retail package named Black Box, containing Half Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2 and Portal.

In order to ease the deal, starting from now, ATi Catalyst will come with a bundled installation of Steam. Since Steam is only some 0.6MB in size, it will not increase download by much. This Catalyst+Steam bundling deal will last until mid-2008, but offer for ATI owners will remain – a definite cool move by ATI and Valve folk.

This deal includes all ATI Radeon cards ever produced, so if you own an ATi Radeon card you bought at the time when big bells pants were popular, you can get these two games. While there are still complaints about Steam, one cannot overlook just how easy it is to backup games - a regular nightmare for owners of DRMed games. ATI has been partner with Valve for years, and now - you can expect this relationship to continue in the future.
DonCatoli
PCB Newbie
PCB Newbie

Re: Valve gives free games to ATI Radeon owners

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Might have to give this a try sometime!!
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:14 pm

Just replaced my ATi x1650pro with a GeForce 7800GS. Never mind, Half Life 2 bored the Hell out of me.
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:57 am

Hmm not a bad card you have there Zep!

Give us some thoughts sometime.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:03 pm

I'm running an Athlon XP 3200 AGP system. It's old and dirty but it has proved itself very well even with games like Oblivion, GRAW, Q4 etc. even with a GeForce 6600. I upgraded to an ATI x1650 and although I could in game settings a little bit higher, the speed didn't really improve. I did a quick check on ebay and found a GeForce 7800GS for a very very good price and bought it right away. It's probably up there in the top 3 fastest cards available for AGP here in the UK (the US has a 7900GS and 7950) and is the best card I've ever owned. It lets me play at my HD TV's native resolution of 1280 x 768 with all the high settings enabled and as silky smooth frame rates. The default clocks are something like 350/1200 (GDDR3) but I have managed to overclock it to 530/1600 without doing any modding and it stays cool at 49 degrees C. It was a high end card about 1 year ago, but ith DX10 games on the horizon, I will have to upgrade to something with a GeForce 8800 Ultra....
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby RaoulDukeGonzo on Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:30 pm

Might be worth holding out for the DX10 AGP cards. Sapphire are gonna release ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro and XT, sure the results aren't as awesome as a Geforce 8800 Ultra but if you're gonna stick with the legacy machine (as am I for the time being) it's worth looking in to. Cards hopefully won't be more than £200.
RaoulDukeGonzo
PCB Newbie
PCB Newbie

Return to PC Games/Applications