What PC games is everyone playing?

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Postby Damian on Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Run the windows memory diagnostic tool http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Memo ... stic.shtml
, or use http://www.memtest86.com/

As for the video errors, try uninstalling all your codecs and start from scratch with Kopei's xvid codec (supports divx as well) http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

If you still have issues you could try the Gordian Knot codec pack.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby Zep on Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:30 pm

I agree with what Damian says. Uninsyalling codecs helped me with some freezing issues. Make sure you use the latest versions too. I use the K-Lite Mega Codec pack and have moved from Media Player Classic to VLC media player.

Does Titan Quest need a CD Key to be played on-line?
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:55 am

The PC has been totally healthy for almost a week now but thanks for the suggestions guys!

I only have the xvid and divx codecs installed as I want to avoid packs of the things from now on. I can play anything I need to with VLC and WMP and if I come across a new format I'll get the single codec I need to play that.

I want to run a fairly slimline system this time round. No installing hoards of massive games!!

Were - I found a patch to take me up to v1.08 which is the most recent version I can find a crack for and the game runs so much better with it!
You need the patch named 'standalone' otherwise it just complains about encountering an error. If I remember I will post the exact file name so you can search it out through file mirrors. I used FlashGet to download it in no time at all! The game owns too! Well...so far anyway.

Zep - I dont know if it needs the key to play online....I wasnt aware there was an online mode in it to be honest. I had to use a key to install it.

Dead Rising comes out tomorrow so I'll be playing lots of that. Oh and the online modes in Saints Row are well laggy! Theres talk of a patch to streamline things coming up sometime.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Damian on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:28 pm

When are you getting your drive flashed!

I've had Dead Rising for nearly two weeks now.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Heh not sure.

I've had Dead Rising for almost 24 hours now! :D

Loving it too!!

Hopefully I'll love my ATI X1800 XT as much if not more!!

Its coming tomorrow morning.....*drool*
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:48 pm

You lucky bastard, that's a monster graphics card, your old 6800 will look very poor next to it.
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:10 pm

Haha yeah except my PSU probably wont be up to the job since I have a dodgy custom one.

I will more than likely have to buy a new case and PSU before it will work.

I got somebody that works in PC World to suggest some I can pick up from the store he works in though so if the worst comes to the worst I can nip out and grab them.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:10 pm

Dead Rising is pissing me off no end, the naff AI and pathfinding of the surivors (as well as those gits in the jeep) are making it near impossible to save the 3 in the part next to the food court.

Do they stay alive if you leave them unattended in a safe shop? If they do, i'd rather leave them in the gym after saving them and go back when the service tunnels or the fence bewteen the Entry and Paradise plazas are open.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Damian on Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:41 pm

Nice GC, same one as I've got. I have also been playing a bit of enchanted arms recently, quite funny.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:34 pm

Yeah DR is bloody hard. I havent played it that much but last time I did that Brad guy died on the first boss and I lost all leads. I couldnt be bothered to do the whole thing again.

On the PC front I got that X1800 XT in the post on Saturday but I thought it was running a little hot through lack of power.

I went out and picked up a new 600w PSU and a new case for everything to go in and set about transplanting everything into the new case.

Everything seems to have gone as planned and considering it was the first time I ever built a PC Im pretty proud of myself. The new card is a bit of a monster and takes up 2 PCI bays with one for the exhaust from the fan.

I even managed to wire in the front controlled variable speed fan and digital CPU thermometer.

Pretty much eats all my games for breakfast now and the old card is going to be made into a clone of my PC and put back into the old case for the missus. That way she gets a PC capable of running vista and I get a machine that can finally run some decent LAN games. Everyones a winner!!

UT2007 OOoooooooh
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Previous

Return to PC Games/Applications