FEAR expansion pack

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

FEAR expansion pack

Postby Silverhaze on Mon May 08, 2006 10:29 am

FEAR has just had an expansion pack announced for it.

LOS ANGELES, CA May 5th, 2006 Vivendi Games Sierra Entertainment today announced that the first expansion pack for the award-winning PC title F.E.A.R. (First Encounter Assault Recon), is currently in development and will be unveiled at the forthcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles.

You can read more here

This should be something interesting to behold. My PC barely coped with the original game and the developers seems to neglect ever releasing any kind of patches to address the framerate issues many people have with the game. It wouldnt surprise me if this one required a decent upgrade to play properly. Anybody want to lend me the money to get a 7900GTX 512mb? Alternatively I think I'll wait in the vain hope of a 360 version.

If its free I'll try it out, maybe I'll try formatting my machine first lol
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Mon May 08, 2006 11:10 am

That game was too depressing for me, if I wanted dark corridors and ugly monsters I would just get the bus down to Tottenham.
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby RabidYak on Mon May 08, 2006 6:38 pm

I coulden't be arsed to finish the main game, theres only so much repetitive level design and crappy attempts at horror I can be bothered with before my attention goes elsewhere.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Tue May 09, 2006 10:06 am

I felt the same Yak. I was really enjoying it at first and then generally got more and more bored with fighting the same damn guy over and over again.

I think the choice to use a 'clone army' was a bad decision. The ninjas were good but Im considering just putting the game on god mode and churning through it sometime. Still doesnt run that nice on my system as I have to turn of v-sync to get a better frame rate and the levels just tear themselves apart with that off.

I'll stick to Oblivion for now.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Tue May 09, 2006 7:50 pm

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that FPS games have finally reached the point where graphics is killing gameplay. Its like developers have to spend so much time and storage space making the realistic environments that the newer engines are capable of that they can't afford to have more then one or two of them per game anymore, hence we get games like Far Cry and FEAR that look nice but have almost no variety in them whatsoever.

Normally i'd put it down to the usual phase of mediocre engine showcases that you get at the start of each engine generation, but its been over 2 years now and theres not much indication that things in general are picking up.

WW2 games seem to be pretty immune to this though, probably because they are mostly landscape and abandoned buildings.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Wed May 10, 2006 9:36 am

So what would you suggest?

I'd quite like to see a game set in a totally imaginary galaxy or even just an environment.

Halo stole the idea of the giant ring in space from Iain M Banks who got the idea from a book called Ringworld I think. The difference was that in ringworld the ring circled an entire sun and in the Iain M Banks books they are much more like the Halo in size. Now, in all of his books he creates a beautiful world on these 'rings' with cities, mountains, seas, rivers etc etc. To have a game set on one of these rings in the universe he created in the Culture books would well....I think I'd wet myself if it was done properly.

I dont want to run round in another alien facility or a factory on earth or prance round the inside of generic spaceship A anymore. I think this is why Oblivion is keeping me interested after 30+ hours of gameplay.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Wed May 10, 2006 5:39 pm

I've not got any suggestions really, i'll be up for anything with a bit of variety in it that takes more then 3 or 4 days to finish.

Its the monotony of the current games I can't stand rather then the actual settings or plots. As crap as Far Cry's plot was, the game would have been worth seeing out if it hadent been a continual loop of almost identical jungle and concrete building levels. Same goes for Fear and its office buildings and warehouses, Doom 3 with its dark corridors and rooms and so on.

Maybe the games are just taking longer to diversify this time round because of the leap in graphics or maybe developers arn't even trying at the moment because the novelty hasent worn off with most buyers yet, but I really can't be bothered with them anymore until we start getting back to the sort of games we were getting around the back end of the Q3-type era (AvsP2, JK2, ST:EF2 etc..) rather then the current one trick ponies regurdless of where they are set.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Return to PC Games/Applications