Old subject revisited - Lame game endings

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Old subject revisited - Lame game endings

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:50 pm

I thought I would bring this up again because I just completed Need For Speed Underground 2 last night and that game is all mouth and no trousers!

While I enjoyed the game a lot and loved that whole pimp your ride thing I have to admit its got one of the lamest endings ever.

You get a little half animation of some tit sitting feeling sorry for himself done in the style of a comic book followed by a return to the game's main map.
You then get a phone call saying there are no more races in the main game but you can do all the single races you like and return to your garage to re-race previously completed races and thats it.

No option to begin again with other stuff unlocked or start again with a different car you might have bought or anything. Pfft. All that for no reward what so ever and we cant even get it to work online so we can show off our pimped rides to eachother!!!!

So anybody else think of any new games with lame endings? I think its criminal!! All games should have a rewarding ending and some incentive to play through again.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:24 pm

I rarely finish newer games. They don't hold my interest long enough for me to beat them.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:57 pm

Pah, call yourself a gamer!! -G+L ;)
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:35 pm

isnt there a website that tells about the "worst endings".i recall the worst ending in the past years is final fantasy 7...

form my experience is ultima 3..probably one of the hardest nes games out there.Once u escape the castle..the credits roll!!??
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Zep on Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:02 pm

DOA 3 on the XBOX. Great, great game, but WTF was up with the endings?

SFII has the most classic endings of all time I think.
Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:39 am

The DOA3 endings arent too bad. At least you get to see some digital T&A on the girlie endings.

I have to say though, that guy who thinks he is bruce lee has a shit ending.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:12 pm

KOTOR2, but the whole game was lame so I wasent expecting anything else.

Never got round to seeing the storyline end of Freelancer, but I should imagine that it sucked. I would of finished it if it haden't turned into a load of boring generic tosh about evil aliens manipulating everything and if most of the claims on the box wern't complete and utter lies.

I could probably rattle off an endless list of older games if I sat down and thought of it, it'd probably be quicker to list the PC games that did have good endings.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:43 am

i recall on the sega master system of phantasy star was pretty bland(even for an old game).Maybe the remake coming to the ps2 will be better.

Monkey island 1 and 2 we ok on the pc...i did remember(or red) one of the monkey island game endings(curse?) sucked monkey balls..@_@
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:35 am

MI1 ended with Guybrush and Elaine's faces lit up by fireworks while they talked with a few jokes thrown in. Nothing particularly impressive but it suited the game and back then it was quite nice.

MI2 ended with LeChuck turning out to be Guybrush's brother and the whole game was just a made up fantasy between 2 kids playing in an amusement park. That was quite funny and unexpected.

MI3....Hmm well the last scene is on the rollercoaster if I remember right but I cant really remember the ending....I still think it looks like a duck!

MI4 used that shitty new 3D system and I got so bored of it I dont think I stuck with it to the end.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:40 pm

the one that looked like a cartoon got really bad press ..im not sure it was released quitely or it was held back for a bit..i do recall mi 1 and 2 being quite "crafty" in soem situations(like that damn swordplay)

it looked real good on the amiga.:)
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:49 pm

Heh the sword fighting rocks.

MI3 is the cartooney one but I dont see why it should have got a bad press. IMO its great!! On top of that, the sword fighting came back after they skipped it out of MI2.
You have to sail your ship around the ocean and have cannon shootouts with other ships. Once you defeat them you can board them and have a sword fight with their captain. As you go you can also spend money upgrading your cannons until you get the comical laser computer guided cannons needed to defeat the toughest ship.
The insults are different too. This time the comeback insult rhymes with the original insult.
I did find the end battle a bit short for my taste but the game as a whole is superb.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:02 pm

nevered gotten around playin the "catoony"..maybe one of the torrents will have it up in the comin months...
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:13 pm

If you liked the others then you will definitely like this one.

I'd just avoid the 3D one if I were you. It uses the Grim Fandango engine.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:27 pm

Curse is a decent game and its nice to look at, but I didn't think it was half as good as the first two. Pretty much all of the best lines are either in-jokes or from Murray and a fair bit of the game struck me as being Monkey Island's greatest hits rather then anything really new.

I never made it more then a couple of hours into Escape. It'd be a pathetic excuse for an adventure game on its own merits, but the fact that it was made by Lucasarts and had Monkey Island written all over it just made it an insult. Its all the more baffling when you conside that Grim Fandango was actually a half decent, so you just can't chalk it up to thier adventure games not working in 3D.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:42 pm

i enjoy playing those adventuring clicky games..well not as much playing kings quest 1 and trying to solve that damn rumpleskitksin? riddle

Or playing the leisure larry series but i havent gone playing the college one yet,:/
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby adidas on Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:39 pm

Grim Fandango was pretty good. It had a hard time keeping my interest after a point, but it was decent enough to finish all the way through.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:27 am

I like the point and click adventures you cant die in. I played some weird game about gender benders or something years ago and never played more than half an hour into it.

Leisure suit larry I never got into either. When I was younger it was the MI series, DOTT and Maniac Mansion. Oh and a couple of those indy games too.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:43 pm

I've got no problem with the later Sierra adventure games, but most of the earlier ones are a chore to play. The text parser system could be so obscure or inflexible that you'd spend 10 minuites trying to do something you've already worked out because you cant find the exact wording that the game wants, some of them relied far too heavily on killing you off as a gameplay device and I seem to remember some even making you start again from scratch because you missed an item along the way that you couldent go back and get.

You never had any of those probelms with Lucasarts games and they were always more entertaining and well made then whatever Sierra happened to have out on the shelves at the time.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:50 pm

HAHAHA holy shit Yak you just reminded me of something!!

I once had a textventure game on the BBC Micro. It was a Star Trek game and it started off with you in a dark broom cupboard. You couldnt see anything and the door was locked. Not that you could see the handle anyway.
So, that was as far as I got with the game. If you moved in any way you would fall over and break your neck and it would be game over. Crap.

Also, I remember having a similar textventure incredible hulk game. All I can remember from that though is one bit where you were tied to a chair. You could escape from it by typing 'Bite lip' and he would get angry lol
Cant remember any other details from that particular gem.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:34 pm

LOL, the whole game probably consisted of that cupboard and nobody ever noticed because they couldent get out of it.

Underdogs has a load of old Marvel text adventures, they probably have that Hulk game if you fancy giving it another go.

The mid-90s ST:TNG adventure game was excellent, it even had all the proper actors from the TV show doing the voices. Its meant to be a complete arse to get running on a modern machine though, I'll have to dig my copy out and give it a go.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:17 am

If its for the PC then I might be able to get that to run on my Win98 machine. That thing runs all the games I cant get to work under XP.
Death Rally is a prime example.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:42 pm

i have quite a bit o old pc games that refuse to work on xp..even the "xp option" on the .exe file wont work..really bites though

yeah those text based games...

"show key to king"
you cant do that

"give iron key to gnome"
he is not interested in that

"push door in wall
impossible

thats when i scream... :lol:
groan lol...
were
PCB Emperor