Knights of the old Republic 2

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Knights of the old Republic 2

Postby RabidYak on Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:52 pm

I've posted on a couple of occasions how supringly excelent KOTR was, so I made sure that I had a copy of the sequel as soon as it appeared on the PC and that I avoided too much information beforehand to at least get some of the surpise value that I had with the first.

Its made by a different team to the original and i'd like to congratulate them on finding everything that made the first game so good at the begining and completely ignoring it. I've spent 4-odd hours running around a big generic spacestation doing increadably liniar tasks to clear the inital part of the game and have just arrvived on another bloody spacestation, where my first mission is to go to an office and do some paperwork to get my ship and guns back. Bit of a difference to the start of the original which started with a quick punch-up on a ship before dumping you in an enormous impressive looking city with shedloads of things to do and choose from.

Hopefully it'll pick up soon, but i'm going not going to be a happy Yak if it doesent.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:13 pm

Bummer dude!!

Keep us posted please!
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:55 pm

Well, just over 10 hours and the game has finally stopped spoon feeding and given me some free will. Aside from a couple of hours solving local disputes on the second space station and a few important conversartions, is basically been going strait from point to point and fighting everything allong the way up until now.

I've got plenty of places to look around now, including a couple of planets from the original, but running around a bunch of generic interiors and fields without much interaction or choice is a patheticly poor start compared to the first planet in the original. The whole thing comes across as the gaming equivelent of a low budget strait-to-video cash-in sequel to a cool big budget cinema classic. The new characters arn't all that interesting so far, the plot doesent particularly grab you and makes hamfisted attempts to connect to the original and there just doesent seem to be as much put into it this time around. Quality control seems a bit lax as well as i've had a couple of minor bugs and the voice audio for one of the conversations had some background hiss on it.

Still, plenty more to see and do yet and it looks like i'll be getting at least some entertainment later on as HK-47 is on the ship missing parts and awaiting reactivation. More later on...
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:18 am

I still havent tried the original.

If anybody sees it anywhere for download can they post please?
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:51 pm

The first was impressive but by about mid way it got a bit boring so I'll be avoiding this one at all costs by the sounds of things.

Hmmm.... I wonder where my Baldur's Gate CDs are.....
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:44 pm

Eugh BG now theres a game I never got into.

My brother loved it though.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:35 pm

I can't stand fantasy type settings, neither the beardy D+D type stuff or that generic Japanese shite from console RPGs.

Just walked over the third planet, hopefully the next one has a bit more challenge to it. Theres still a deadly lack of the scenery, unfolding plot and choice that the first one had.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:57 am

I found KTOR on bi-torrent last night. Its quite a hefty size and looks like its 2 discs worth.
I just thought I'd check here to make sure that its not just a typo and I'll end up with this new sequel.

I downloaded Dungeon Keeper Gold and Death Rally instead :o)

Dunno what the difference between DK Gold and standard DK is yet.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:28 pm

i liked dungeon keeper..but i couldnt get into the sequel

yak, i think your the hardcore gamer, but i realy never see you talk about any rpg's at all :P

didnt surprise me at all :D :wink:
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:45 pm

Silverhaze wrote:I found KTOR on bi-torrent last night. Its quite a hefty size and looks like its 2 discs worth.
I just thought I'd check here to make sure that its not just a typo and I'll end up with this new sequel.

Both of them are 4 discs. I shouldent think you'll have any problems telling between them, the warez folks wouldent want anyone to miss the fact that they are giving away a brand new game by mislabeling it as its 1 - 2 year old predacessor.

were wrote:yak, i think your the hardcore gamer, but i realy never see you talk about any rpg's at all :P

didnt surprise me at all :D :wink:

Its because nobody makes RPG games I want to play, namely ones with interesting settings that use game mechanics based on proper paper and dice RPGs. Hence the fact that KOTOR and Countdown to Doomsday are the only two that i've ever actully enjoyed playing, all of the ones with good engines have boring D+D type settings and console-style RPGs suck in both departments.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby RabidYak on Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:28 pm

Finsished the game today. It barely got any better, was too easy and the ending was absolutley pathetic. Looks like they spent so much time adding player characters, beefing up the item upgrade system and making the inter-character interaction more complicated that they forgot to put a decent amount of actuall play content into it, run it througth the last couple of stages of bug testing and pay attention to why the first one was good.

Don't let me deter anyone from playing the excellent original if you havent already, but avoid the sequel regurdless of whether you like it or not.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Zep on Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:34 pm

it's all bout Secret OF Mana I tells ya!!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:24 pm

theres a sequel to that and another sequel? on the gba
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:47 pm

I'm mighty pissed now, just hit the net for it now that i'm unspoilable to find out why it sucks so much and it turns out that the resource files have large chunks of dialouge in them for an actual ending and various other parts of the game that were cut out to meet the release deadline (including the sub-plot I was most interested in, which completely drops off the face of the game after being flaunted as a major point for the first half).

I still would of hated the game for missing the point and being too linar compared to the original, but I would of been allot less disgusted if it had all the missing stuff in it and was properly debugged.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:45 am

isnt that out on the xbox/

i sense major patches in the near future.:(
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Zep on Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:20 am

Since Tomb Raider on the PS, I have never been absorbed by hype surrounding games from previews. They never meet expectations.

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:41 pm

Seriously Zep?

Damn!!

Not even with GTA3?
or Mario64
Carmageddon 2?

There must have been games where you played the demo until your fingers bled and just couldnt wait for the full game to come out?

None of the Tony Hawk games even?
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:35 am

Silverhaze wrote:Seriously Zep?

Damn!!

Not even with GTA3?
or Mario64
Carmageddon 2?

There must have been games where you played the demo until your fingers bled and just couldnt wait for the full game to come out?

None of the Tony Hawk games even?

Okay... Tony Hawks = Addiction.

Halo 1 = Demo promised mor than it should have been. It ended up being to many levels in doors. (i know i sound like a dick........... :()

Mario 64 is not a scratch on what the SNES did to me.

Car,agednd 1 was a huge imapct...i agree.... probaly shod ben in my number 10 list.

,,,,mmm girls.

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Zep on Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:41 pm

Jesus I just read my last post, I was pretty pissed by the looks of things, I don't even remember typing that...

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:37 am

:cat:
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to PC Games/Applications