Adidas!!!

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Adidas!!!

Postby Silverhaze on Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:32 am

You know that firewall you suggested I use?

Just one little problem with it.

The stupid bastard is blocking my Win98 machine from doing certain things to the XP machine.

Im getting these popups saying that Active Response and Port Scans are being blocked. I thought it was a hacker at first until I noticed that the IP was exactly that of my Win98 machine.

Its not stopping the 2 machines from sharing printers and files as I enabled the option to allow that on both machines. It just seems strange that it would allow that but block this other stuff.
I think I might have found the options to stop this from happening but I just wanted to confirm.

I went to Advanced Options and clicked 'Add'

I entered a name for the rule 'The other PC you thick cunt' to be exact.

Under 'Action' I clicked 'Allow this traffic'

Then clicked the Hosts tab.

I clicked the Subnet option and entered the Subnet IP and Subnet mask numbers of the Win98 machine. Under ports and protocols I clicked the 'All' option.
I ignored the scheduling option entirely and clicked 'Select all' under the applications option.

Do you reckon Ive done the right thing?

I wasnt sure whether I should have just entered the IP of the other machine instead of all that Subnet stuff.

Just incase - here are the 2 messages I got.

Somebody is scanning your computer.
Your computer's UDP ports:
1067, 1068, 1069, and 1072 have been scanned from 192.168.2.43..

and

Traffic from IP address 192.168.2.43 is blocked from 01/22/2005 00:19:17 to 01/22/2005 00:29:17.

That second one got flagged up as a Major attack. The other one it considered minor.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:34 am

Sounds good to me, but if your router doesn't dynamically assign IPs then just entering the IP of the other machine would have been easier.

The 'active response' is kind of a pain when you log onto IRC as well. If you usually use a particular server, I would do the same for that.

All active response does is ban an IP at the firewall if it thinks someone is trying to intrude. Doesn't happen much to me, only when logging onto IRC and the server scans for certain open ports; which most do.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:28 am

I'll have to work out how to stop it popping up the messages then.

They keep minimising my games all the time.

Also, what settings do you have for Azureus? Ive told the damn firewall that javaw.exe is fine to access the network yet it keep shoving this bloody popup at me saying its blocking it all the time.
I think its because Azureus is opening it and it doesnt like it.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:42 pm

I don't have it installed, I use torrent clients anymore

But I think all I did was allow javaw.exe to allow the network and open my Azureus port
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to PC Games/Applications