Another brain buster!

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Another brain buster!

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:26 pm

I just got an ethernet card so I could plug my cable modem into it and not have to use the shitty USB connection. Ok so it set up fine but now every time I switch on a light or the fridge comes on or the oven or whatever I lose my connection. I wiggle the wire in the back of the modem and push it in a bit harder and back it comes.

A friend suggested a spike something or other as he thinks the modem is over sensitive. Im gonna try getting another ethernet cable from work tomorrow if they have a spare but Im kind of out of ideas other than contacting my ISP and getting a new modem posted out.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:03 pm

Sounds like a crappy modem or dodgey wiring in your gaff. If you network cable was knackered then it would never work and you'd know it if your PC was having power trouble.

Try putting it on a surge protected multiplug.

Might be worth investigating your wiring as well, like what stuff is on which breaker and if your modem kops out all the time or just when your putting a heavy load on your supply.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby release on Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:20 am

I have this problem with some speakers i have in the same room as the bar fridge... whenever the fridge kicks in the speakers cut out.

A guy at Jaycar told me I needed bigger capacitors in the feed to the speakers. Perhaps its a similar problem ?
Cheers,

Release.
release
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby Silverhaze on Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:57 am

Thanks for the info fellas but I solved the problem in the end with the help from a mate at work. First one of the tech guys I sit next to tested my cabe on this little device thing and it showed that was fine but he gave me another lead anyway. Then my other mate told me about getting a surge/spike protecting extention lead and bob's ya uncle it hasnt cut out once since then. Strange thing is my speakers are plugged into it too but they still pop when the fridge comes on but thats more likely a radio wave emmitted at the same time as an electrical spike picked up by the wires.
I can sometimes hear faint foreign long wave radio stations that somehow get picked up by them but dont come out on a recording. Heh go figure!

Cheers again geezers!
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to PC Games/Applications