Secret Weapons 2

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Secret Weapons 2

Postby RabidYak on Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:05 pm

Nothing like thrashing the national enemy to start the holiday season, so I dusted off the flightstick and picked up Secret Weapons over Normandy from my local PC World today.

Good fun and a rare oppertunity for some decent air combat action without having to put up with all the boring bits and a keyboard full of controls. Its basically a slightly more advanced version of Rouge Squadron set in WW2, complete with basic and advanced control modes depending on how fiendish you want to get. Well worth the money if you've got a stick already, althougth milage may vary if you have to play it on a pad or keyboard.

Since they had 3 for 2 on all PC games, I got Call of Duty and Knights of the Old Republic as well. Not too enthusiastic about the latter since its an RPG, but I got it for nowt so theres no complaining. I'll be strait into COD as soon as i've given SWON a good hiding, hopefully it'll be half as good as everybody says it is.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:46 am

I like COD, although I haven't gotten to play much of it. The online play is a lot of fun, though team deathmatch is the way to go. Doing any missions online means you have to wait for the game to finish if you're one of the first to die
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:26 pm

I never knew you could do online missions too!! Coool I'll have a go at that!!

Anyway, CoD is great but I got to this bit where you have to fend off the enemy from the back of a moving truck with an inaccurate machine gun while they have rocket launchers. Infuriating when you have to reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeload just as they pull up along side and you have to reload every bloody 5 seconds with that gun. Once that is done, you pick up a sniper rifle, the one shot then reload kind and have to stop the enemy crossing a bridge. It matters not how many hits you take within reason but if any of them cross the bridge its mission over back to the machine gun bit again. GAH!!! Ive stopped playing at that point for the time being. The dam level before that rules though, excellently modelled and thought out.

The only other thing that irrirates me about the game is the super human senses the enemy possess even on easy difficulty. You can go prone and be virtually invisible with your sniper rifle. Take a guard out from a mile away behind a bush and instantly every enemy is alerted to your exact position and the bullets rain down upon you. Even if most miss due to the distance. They should run about shooting randomly trying to work out where the shot came from.

Ok Ive had my moment. Carry on.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:13 pm

hahaha i shall try all these games when i get my new system when it's deliverd when i get back from greece in da new years.

whoo i'll be able to play the latest video games and actualy be able to join in with threads like this ;)
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:47 pm

:wink:
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby release on Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:29 am

silverhaze,

I just did that bit the other day - you've got panzer's as well to blow the enemy vehicles up with too.
Cheers,

Release.
release
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby RabidYak on Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:51 am

Taken my time with the replys, damn games and chrimbo kept me bogged down for the last week or so.

Given up on SWON for now, too much arm ache with the fight stick.

COD is pretty damn good, but has the same length problems as most moden FPS. Good laff while it lasts though, was particularly impressed by the Stalingrad levels.

KOTOR has had me slaving away like a mofo, was amazingly surprised to find that its actually a damn good game. I was expecting a complete pile of shat considering thats its an RPG and that its not set in real Star Wars, but it turned out to be the best game of the 3. It's certainly earned its place alongside Countdown to Doomsday, just shows you how much better these games are with a decent setting and good entertainment value. They put all those crappy generic Japanese RPGs and beardy D'n'D games to shame.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby KoHC on Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:32 am

KOTOR is a fun game. I was surprised that Lucas Art finally giving up making their own crappy game and let someone knows how to make games to do the job.

The story is very well done. And there are always at least 2 ways to finish each quest is great. I'm gonna play the game again when I have the time. :)
KoHC
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Return to PC Games/Applications