How appropiate, you program like a cow

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

How appropiate, you program like a cow

Postby RabidYak on Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:49 pm

I decided to pick up some cheap games that I never got round to getting the first time round in PC World the other day, among these was Escape fom Monkey Island. Always been dubious about getting this, but I thought I couldent go far wrong with an MI game at £10. Damn was I wrong, this game is one of the biggest piles of shite I have ever played. Its surprising enough that Lucasarts actually made a bad adventure game, but the fact that its pissing on probably the best adventure games ever made rather then being a standalone turd is what really annoys me.

Its boring, it looks like shit, it plays like shit, its buggy and its just not funny. MI will never work as well in 3D because of the lack of detail and character it has compared to properly drawn and animated graphics, but it can be a bloody lot better then this. Its like they took the new engine from Grim Fandango and deliberatly fucked it up so it looks like a 1996 N64 game that handles like a bus in a sea of treacle. Plus the fact that the people who did the layout for Melee Island for this game dont seem to have played the same version of SOMI that I did since 80% of the town is missing and the island has shrunk to a quater of its original size.

I think i'll go and do something more entertaining then seeing this one througth to the end, like hammer nails into my arm or watch Alien 3 a couple of times. Hopefully they will pull thier finger out for the new Full Throttle and Sam'n'Max games, i'd hate to think they are going to shit on those good names as well.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Damian on Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:19 pm

Cancel out Full Throttle, it is Action/Adventure!
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby ivwshane on Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:39 am

I have alot of those on my ftp.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:09 am

I made the mistake of buying that too Yak. I got bored of the control style before I got bored of anything else.

I too found it unfunny and was also dissapointed at the lack of consistency with the other games. I noticed that thing with the differences in the islands and it sucked.

I tried using a walkthrough just to see if it actually got any better but nope. I cant even remember how far through it I got before getting bored but it wasnt all that far. IMO these games just dont work in 3D. Its ok for looking about and stuff but when you have to interact with something you get some shoddy animation rather than a nicely drawn animated sequence.

Why try and jump on the 3D bandwagon when 2D obviously works so much better for games of this kind.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to PC Games/Applications