some old pc games

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

some old pc games

Postby Zep on Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:42 pm

does anybody remember these games?

*MDK (popular shoot-em-up with snipe function)

*Crusader: No Remorse (third person shooter, I think the sequel was "No Regret")

*and my most wanted: Sanitarium (some FUCKED UP game where you wake up in a crazy house without a clue why yer there)

I only ever played the demos for these, and I would have thought that Kazaa would have the full versions of them, but alas, "no match found". are there any old school web sites where i can download these dya think?
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:13 pm

Hmm...

I have played the demo of Crusader but the 3rd on your list I've not heard of which is a shame since it sounds novel indeed.

I have MDK2 which I bought a helluva long time ago and should be able to rip it since its mighty old.

Would that be of any use to you?

I just need somebody to tell me how to rip a game. It has that same old snipe function plus you can control a scientist guy who needs to collect and combine different items to beat his levels, the normal MDK guy in the cool Spawnlike suit, most of his levels are jumping and floating kind of things, and a 6 legged dog with a liking for Magnums and cigars. Its actually quite a good laugh when you have to fight a boss that is 200 times your size and shouts 'Whos your daddy' at you before splatting you with a 20 ton fist.

Not sure if that Sanitarium game is that old. Have you tried abandonware sites like Underdogs?
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:35 pm

mdk2? whoa sounds a treat.

unfortunately i have no idea how to rip games. would be cool to learn though....

i think sanitarium came out in '97 or '98. it's a really messed up game with a nuts plot.

underdogs? i'll give it a shot :)

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:41 pm

Dont think any of them are old enough to appear as abandonware. Sanitaruim came out on N64 apparantly.

Anyway for anybody that doesnt recognise it, here is a review and some shots I nicked from somewhere.
It does sound fun!

While, visually, Sanitarium is nothing special, its intriguing story and twisted plot make it one of the most original games yet. Just trying to explain Sanitarium's plot is a bit of a challenge.

At the onset of the game, you find yourself in some sort of a run-down asylum, covered in bandages as a result of a car-crash. A case of amnesia (and perhaps a bit of brain damage) prevents you knowing where you are, what you are doing there or how you got there. After talking to a number of insane characters, the game starts to get weird.

The different chapters of the game are based on "demons" and hellish beings from the unconscious mind of the main character, as he (and a she at one point...) searches for his self-identity. Deformed, demented children, a run-down circus, and 4-arm cyclopes are just a few examples of the many twisted characters making appearances throughout the story. Also, as odd as these beings get, they are usually tied, somehow, to the mind of the main character through a variety of pre-rendered cutscenes.

Playing Sanitarium is made extremely simple and involves clicking the mouse to move, use item, talk etc. The only drawback I found was with movement: when the player clicks at a certain point where he wants to move, the character makes a straight line to that point (while the mouse is held down). In the end, there will be many unwanted stair-ascensions (a process which cannot be interrupted) and other awkward maneuvering.

Like most other adventure games, Sanitarium consists of a variety of puzzles as well as a few simple action sequences. All action sequences are pretty basic, involving the use of an object on an enemy while moving around to avoid its attack. Puzzles, on the other hand, range from simple tasks such as finding and using objects to more complicated ones such as altering and rotating the pipes in a watermain. In general, while puzzles don't get as intricate or complicated as in games like Myst, they do a good job of testing the intellect of the gamer while maintaining the freaky gaming atmosphere.

Sanitarium basically looks like most other adventure games currently on the market. All backgrounds are 2D, pre-rendered scenes, and characters are obvious 2D sprites. Sounds, like the graphics, are what you would expect from a well-done adventure. What DreamWorks did do a good job with was the fact that all audio and visual facets of the game, from the opening menu to the ending cutscene, always maintain the constant eerie mood of the game.

While Sanitarium does have its minor drawbacks, it is one of the best-executed adventure games on the market. The plot, described by some as being "sick-made", keeps the player involved until the end of the game. In the end, Sanitarium is one of the most weird, twisted sick games that you will ever play. Bravo.

Hope you find this, I wanna try it out too.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:41 pm

those screens look cool.

i can't believe i can find warcraft 3, a brand new game with no trouble at all, and not find this archaic 2d game!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:00 pm

Yeah its a pain in the arse to find moderately old games.

Im now connected to the net and have a working burner which is good news.

Hopefully I'll be able to test my first rip soon.

MDK2 is pretty good fun.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:52 pm

I played MDK with one of those Microsoft force feedback sticks a few times, almost breaks your fucking wrists when you get shot by a tank.

Underdogs have the sequel to Crusader - No Remorse, have a gander -
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Crusader%3A+No+Regret

Old games are a cunt to find sometimes. Especialy ones that are too old for warez, too new for abandonware and too unsuccessfully to be sold on budget for the next 2000 years 'ala 3D Realms. Maybe we should all write a list of what we've got and see if anyone has anything that others are after.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby ivwshane on Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:56 pm

This place has crusader

http://www.thehawk.dk/start.asp

You need to sign up but it's free.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:44 am

I will see if I can remember to compile a list of all the old games I have tonight.

I've got quite a few old ones from back in the day when I was buying PC games and they ran great on my P200!

Stuff like:

Time COmmando
Theif Gold
Carmageddon 1 and 2
Civilisation 2
Swiv

Errr.....

Ok best I wait til tonight and I'll do it properly.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby release on Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:33 am

I just compiled a list the other night for the hell of it... I post it tomorrow when I get home again.

I'll go see if I can find that sanitarium.
Cheers,

Release.
release
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby release on Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:35 am

I think that Sanitaruim is still available for hire at one of the video hire stores round here... if I can't find it on the net I'll hire and copy it :wink:
Cheers,

Release.
release
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby Zep on Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:22 pm

surely this is the bestest most helpful community on the internet? :)

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:00 pm

CID record updated through HO file to ARX.....

Oops damn I been typing that at work so times over now that I just start typing it automatically LOL

This is indeed a helpful community, and this weekend I have nothing planned so I think I might put a bit of ripping into practice if anybody sees any of my games that they like the look of.

Release, whats the best software for ripping old games, I expect they will be before a lot of the copy protection started coming out. I've a feeling its something like Nero that Im after. It would also be helpful to know the best format to have them in to make using them as easy for other people as possible.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby ivwshane on Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:28 pm

If it's cd based I prefer discjuggler;)
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Thu May 01, 2003 8:35 am

Sounds good!

I like DJ
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby release on Fri May 02, 2003 7:04 pm

I found sanitarium on the donkey... so I am downloading it at the moment - will upload to ivwsahne's ftp once complete (and once panzer dragoon saga is finished - thats up to the last disc at the moment).

as for copying games... I tend to use nero as 1st preference / clonecd as 2nd. discjuggler gpf's on my system but that's not really a concern as I have cdi2nero :wink:
Cheers,

Release.
release
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby Zep on Sat May 03, 2003 12:38 am

i downloaded e-donkey, seems pretty cool, although i could only find three iso's of the french version of sanitarium?

did you manage to find a single rip file of it?

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby release on Sat May 03, 2003 1:15 am

Here are the ed2k links for sanitarium :

<a href="ed2k://|file|Sanitarium.CD1.nrg|596971952|D1B88673A37B21468D70CC8347D5F5CA|/">Sanitarium.CD1.nrg</a>
<a href="ed2k://|file|Sanitarium.CD2.nrg|772940496|494D61D3694E5E33CA47337E018BF208|/">Sanitarium.CD2.nrg</a>
<a href="ed2k://|file|Sanitarium.CD3.nrg|730876144|BC252F8DEE4D1A2ED91B95E6B21D5A09|/">Sanitarium.CD3.nrg</a>

8)
Cheers,

Release.
release
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby Zep on Sat May 03, 2003 11:52 am

wow that's brilliant mate.

only thing is, the damn thing wont download faster than 1-3k a second. i should be able to to download at at least 30 - 50 (im on a dsl connection).

hmmmm.....

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby KoHC on Sat May 03, 2003 1:36 pm

P2P is based on how many users have the file and how fast their connections are. Also, eDonkey has really bad quene system. If you can't find enough sources you might have to leave your system on over night or even longer just to get a decent download speed.
KoHC
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Postby release on Sun May 04, 2003 12:33 am

KoHC is right - the donkey aint fast. But it does deliver.

That's why I've usually got a queue of about 200 downloads to process that I want at any one time and the machine is up 24x7.

I never seen downloads for an individual file crank up past about 17 k/sec
Cheers,

Release.
release
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby release on Sun May 25, 2003 10:09 am

I've finally finished downloading Sanitarium and am now uploading to ivwshane's ftp.
/uploads/release/Sanitarium.CD[1-3].rar

I'll post another msg once the upload is complete (could be a while)...
Cheers,

Release.
release
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby were on Mon May 26, 2003 2:00 pm

looks like ivwshane cleaned(cleaning) up his hardrive :shock:
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Next