Doom 3 impressions

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Doom 3 impressions

Postby Damian on Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:08 am

Just a quick one. Well the graphics are indeed very good, very "CGI" looking; the lighting is also very impressive (can not shoot light sources, yet). Technically it plays identically to previous Doom games, with similar weapons. The one pictured below is the Nail Gun.

Blood is immensely realistic looking as well. I know many of you have played this already, but this is for all those who have not :P.

Oh yes, that monster came bursting throse those pipes; a can dropped to give me warning.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby neon_sonic on Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:33 am

Hot damn, I really need to get a hold of this! It'll probably run like shit on my computer, though. What are your PC specs?
neon_sonic
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Postby Damian on Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:49 am

Athlon XP 2000+
Geforce 3 ti 200 (which I can't overclock due to buggy beta detonator 40+)
512MB DDR RAM

It still has moments of very bad perfomance, average is about 25FPS. Which can drop below 10 is enough people are on the screen (see below). Although I am assuming this game has yet to be further optimised as devs usually do that near completion.

It also has a pretty nifty intro (takes ages to load). Here are the commands as a reference:

Code: Select all
To change your rez in the game open up the main config in your base folder and search for the fullscreen command and it will have 0 in it , change it to"1"
and than the rez command is also in the main config and change them , i have mine set at 1024 by 768 and am getting 25 to 60 fps , game runs great for me!

also dont start the game from the singleplayer menu , goto console and type .....

map e3/e3_1 [enter]

the other 2 maps are e3/e3_2 & e3/e3_3
do not use the slash ----> / , this is not quake3 , also find your runact.cfg in the base folder and at the bottom of the text u will see devmap $e3_intro , put a # sign infront of it like this....
#devmap $e3_intro , exit and save config
than goto ur game start it, then hit console and type exec runact.cfg and hit enter , than u type this.......
map e3/intro and hit enter and the intro will load in about 2 to 5 minutes so be patient!

From the console, use the following commands:
map e3/intro (Loads intro movie)
map e3/e3_1 (Loads first map)
map e3/e3_2 (Loads second map)
map e3/e3_3 (Loads third map)
map fred/e3bathroom5 (won't work for some people)

Changing controls:
From the console, type: bindlist

This will list all the currently bound keys and their functions. Use the page up and page down keys to scroll through the list. The controls for standard movement are not bound to the regular WASD config, so type the following to put it back to normal:
bind w _forward
bind s _back
bind a _moveleft
bind d _moveright

Checking FPS: type com_drawfps 1
Last edited by Damian on Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby ivwshane on Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:51 am

This game does indeed look very good!
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:42 am

Yeah I saw some shots in an Xbox mag. I'm still waiting for that. Rather a longer wait for that version than fork out £800 for a new PC.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Damian on Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:45 am

Not really sure how the 'Box will be able to cope with this game considering PCs of today can't. I suppose they could do it with a lot of texture reduce.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:13 pm

It could handle it. The HD is used as texture memory as is evident in Halo and they are managing to squeeze more and more out of the hardware as they go.

The creators of Q3 are adamant that the box is the only console that they will be able to port Q3 to.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby KoHC on Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:05 pm

John Carmack (for those are not geeks, he's the head programmer for DoomIII. Also the programmer for Doom and Quake series) first said it's impossible to port DoomIII to any console. Later he say it'll be possible to port it to xbox but will have to reduce lots of special effects.

Since xbox is using modified celeron CPU ~700MHz and modified GeForce3. It should be able to run DoomIII at 640x480 with mid-low picture quality. But I would say even running this game at that kinda resolution it'll still look very nice on the TV set.
KoHC
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Postby adidas on Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:46 am

Yeah, it looks good. I don't play games anymore, so I'm not very worried about it. This computer is starting to age and therefore couldn't handle it anyway.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Damian on Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:57 am

Silverhaze wrote:It could handle it. The HD is used as texture memory as is evident in Halo and they are managing to squeeze more and more out of the hardware as they go.

The creators of Q3 are adamant that the box is the only console that they will be able to port Q3 to.

HD would be much too slow for texture memory. Would be unplayable.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:31 am

Well yeah its obviously not going to look as good as it does on a PC but then I'd rather have a game that doesnt look as good running on an xbox that cost me 120 notes than have it running brilliantly on a PC that cost me 1000 notes.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Super Kipper on Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:59 pm

My first impressions of Doom 3 (i played it at a mate's) are that it's dark, atmospheric, and very reliant on scripted situations (like the dog thing bursting out of the pipes).

Looks good, but will I upgrade in time to play it?
Super Kipper
PCB Member
PCB Member

Postby were on Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:44 am

looks good..nice resolution
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:44 am

oppps..double ur posting..double ur fun
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO