Problem # 2

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Problem # 2

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:58 pm

OK so no I am formatted and all ready to start again I have decided I want to put Windows98 on my D:

I want this because I have never seen such a brutal loss of speed before WindozeXP.

I cant play any tunes in Acid 4, CubaseVST or Logic Audio because I have no resources left to allocate to them. When they do play they are slow and stuttery and sound absolutely awful. In VST I can check my PC resources as its playing, they are already seriously used up even before starting the softsynths and other bits and pieces. Holy shit what I wouldnt give for a new MB and processor right now.

Anyway

They never used to do this with Win98 so I would like to keep XP for somethings but also have 98 for when I want to play a game that didnt come out after 2001 or play some of my music.

How do I install 98 to my D: and also how do I select which operating system I want to use on startup.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:14 pm

Youve gone in the wrong direction, its not possible to do 98 after XP without the use of a third-party utility. Older versions of Windows must be put on first so XP can properly configure the dual-boot and so the older versions dont overwrite the XP boot sectors and MBRs. You'll have to start over.

Switch the 2 drives around so the one you want 98 on is C: and the XP one is D: and then boot up with a 98 start-up floppy and run fdisk. Wipe all the partitions on both disks and start fresh, creating and formatting a new partition on c: to install 98 on. Once you have installed 98, run the XP installation program from there (NOT from the XP boot floppys). Partition, format and install XP on your second drive and it will all be configured and arranged automatically.

From now on, every time you boot your PC a menu will automatically come up asking you whether you want to boot to 98 or XP (and if you install it, the recovery console). Keep in mind that you will not be able to access you XP drive from 98 as it has no support for NTFS, but you will be able to acess your 98 drive from XP. If you want to switch the drive letters and boot order at a later date you can get your mitts dirty in the recovery console, but I wouldent try that unless your entirely sure what your doing and dont mind potentially buggering your entire setup.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:31 pm

This is gonna take some thinking about.

I'm considering going right back to 98 as I havent really accumulated anything since I formatted.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:23 pm

whats bad about it too is the newer videocards would fit right into xp but not in 98...oye
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:55 pm

were wrote:whats bad about it too is the newer videocards would fit right into xp but not in 98...oye

I've got an old ISA Esinoq sound card in my old P2-350 (Originally had a newer Aureal card which is now resident in the Duron 900) that works in totally the opposite direction. Works like a dream in 98, but XP wont have any of it despite the fact I fed it Windows 2000 drivers that installed perfectly. Pain in the arse since I dual boot it as a test machine for all the dodgey stuff that I dont want to do first on machines currently in use.

I still use the speakers that came with the same machine as my main set, they beat the shit out of those piddley little things you get in speaker sets nowadays. You just cant get good big-arse bass monster speakers for your PC anymore.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:26 am

RabidYak wrote:
were wrote:whats bad about it too is the newer videocards would fit right into xp but not in 98...oye

I've got an old ISA Esinoq sound card in my old P2-350 (Originally had a newer Aureal card which is now resident in the Duron 900) that works in totally the opposite direction. Works like a dream in 98, but XP wont have any of it despite the fact I fed it Windows 2000 drivers that installed perfectly. Pain in the arse since I dual boot it as a test machine for all the dodgey stuff that I dont want to do first on machines currently in use.

I still use the speakers that came with the same machine as my main set, they beat the shit out of those piddley little things you get in speaker sets nowadays. You just cant get good big-arse bass monster speakers for your PC anymore.

You can get really good PC speakers, if you want to spend a fortune :smash:
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:21 pm

You can get a real cracking set of 5.1 speakers for under £150
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:02 pm

damn u british and ur euro system!!!!!

:wink:

150..hmmm thats about 80-90 bucks canadian

man, videocards can be a pain...the one im using has a geofroce4 32 meg card that cant play return of wolverstein..so..so.. :x
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:26 pm

Geforce 4 with 32mb??

I thought they were 64 as standard.

Anyhow, I'll thankyou not to refer to our beautiful British Pound as a 'Euro system' Mr! ;);)
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to PC Games/Applications