Yaks suck!

Patchy games, and Application help.

Moderator: ivwshane

Yaks suck!

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:31 am

Just trying to get your attention there matey :D

Actually, anybody with the know how will do.

I am thinking of doing a full format of my PC. It really needs a clean out badly but before I had XP I always used to use FDisk to do it from DOS.

Can I still do this or does XP have its own software. I dont want anything left lingering on my HDs

Of course I will probably have to buy a new CDROM first, I doubt the default drivers will get my external USB burner working which is what I have been using since my old CDROM decided to pack up.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:53 pm

If your starting from scratch with XP, your best bet is to start a fresh installation and use the HD setup tools that are part of the process.

If your XP CD is bootable, just set the CD as the boot device and go from there. If it isnt, you'll have to initialise the process from an existing windows installation as you cant do it from a good old fashioned dos prompt.

All legitimate copies of XP are bootable, but most knock-off ones arnt. You can actually homebrew a bootable copy of XP using Nero and a downloaded copy of the CD boot sector, which I am about to try and do myself.

Fdisk is still usefull for setting and sorting partitions, but it is somewhat redundant now since the rest of the dos disk tools are useless as they only deal in FAT and FAT32. With XP, you can do everything that they all used to and then some either in-house or with the recovery console.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby ImiatedDracona on Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:53 pm

If you have the Devil's Own disk (as I think you have) simply tell your PC to regcognise CD's on startup (before the HD) and it will auto boot. One of the boot options is a complete format. Do a complete format and then install XP.

EDIT: Heh Yak posted at the same time as me. Yes his disc is definitely bootable.
ImiatedDracona
PCB Member
PCB Member

Postby ivwshane on Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:16 pm

My feelings are hurt SH:( :(
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby ImiatedDracona on Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:23 pm

I think Haze and Yak have some sort of a luvvyduvvey thing going on ;)

:lol: 8) :lol:
ImiatedDracona
PCB Member
PCB Member

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:18 am

Nothing like snuggling up with a steaming Yak in the evening LOL

Anyway, Yak seems to know the answer to everything. I have a Devils own copy of XP btw.

I'm toying with the idea of going back to 98 and having a look at the performance and then possibly upgrading to XP.

So, Shane, in a bid to undo the hurt I have inflicted on you. What course of action would you take ol' buddy?
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:07 pm

This will be usefull to ya SH if your XP CD isnt bootable - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

My attempt at burning a bootable CD failed as somewhere along the pirate chain the hidden files that control the boot process were not copied, but the setup disks the above program creates will do the job (prep the system, partition the drives, format the partitions and initialise installation from the CD).

Aside from the godawful tarty new interface, XP actually seems to be a half decent operating system underneath. Its a bit of a space monster, but i've got it running at a useable speed on my old P2-350 and it does seem fairly robust and stable. Once you change all the relavant settings to make the GUI behave like it used to, its just about acceptable to use.

If you want to retain 98 while using XP, stick a second HD in or partition your existing one into two and you can dual boot them without much hassle. Just install 98 onto your first drive/partition and then run the XP installation program from there and tell it to install to your second disk/partition. After its done, you'll be given a menu everytime you boot asking which OS you want to boot into and they will work almost like youve got two completely different systems.

If you want to go totally to XP later on, you can use the Recovery Console to change the boot and partition ordering so you can do away with 98 without having to start from scratch. Make sure you read and print the relavent help files first though, your going to be in a world of hurt if you do something wrong with that program.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:18 pm

My Devil's Own copy is bootable as well :)
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby ImiatedDracona on Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:24 pm

Yak has some sort of shitty rip off Devil's Own. HOW DARE YOU PIRATE DEVIL's OWN EH?? The genuine DO hologram means you can boot!!
ImiatedDracona
PCB Member
PCB Member

Postby Silverhaze on Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:05 am

OK so I went out this morning and bought some old 52x CDROM since my old one is fucked. THis way I can avoid not being able to use my USB burner once the format is done.

How do I set the windowsXP disc to boot?

Its been a long time since I did a format.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:31 am

You'll have to set your first boot device to the CD drive in the bios so it reads that before the HD (Like you would normally do with a boot floppy).
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:33 pm

I've tried that and it wont boot from the disc, it goes to a black screen with white text and gives a few boot up options.

Then Damian and Adidas suggested getting the start up disks so I did that but none of the setup options have anything to do with formatting.

Any suggestions?
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:42 pm

Just tell it to start the installation, HD partitioning and formatting are part of the process.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:53 am

Yeah I found it in the end and wiped the slate clean. First thing I downloaded was media player 9 and the Halo2 movie to test it. Still runs at the same shit speed.

Time will tell if other things are the same.

Thanks for the help
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to PC Games/Applications