GoodSNES problem

Sometimes Even Console Emulation Can be Deceptive

GoodSNES problem

Postby adidas on Thu May 24, 2001 7:59 am

I'm having a problem with GoodSNES recognizing my roms. I'm using the GoodWindows frontend, as I can't be bothered to type in all the command line garbage.

GoodSNES tells me that I have 236 SNES roms when I do a 'list' or a 'scan', when in fact I have around 500. When I try the rename command, it only renames those 236 roms, and completely ignores the other 250 or so roms that I have. I know a couple of those files might be corrupt (maybe three or some other ridiculously low percentage of them), but I play a lot of those games that it doesn't recognize as roms and they work great!

Any ideas? I want to rename all the roms so that it's easier for me to find a game when I want to play it, and I want to look at the text file of missing roms it creates so I can get some of the roms I'm still missing.

[ 24 May 2001: Message edited by: adidas ]
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

GoodSNES problem

Postby adidas on Thu May 24, 2001 8:25 am

Ok, more of those roms were corrupt than I thought. Still, not many were. What's even stranger is that a lot of the roms, when you try to open them in WinRAR (they're in zips), won't open. WinRAR says they're corrupt files. Yet the files load in SNES9x and Zsnes. I guess that's why GoodSNES won't recognize those.

After I got rid of the files that wouldn't load, and not counting the files that WinRAR says are corrupt but load in Snes9x, there are still around 100 roms that GoodSNES won't recognize.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

GoodSNES problem

Postby Damian on Thu May 24, 2001 1:18 pm

What a pain.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

GoodSNES problem

Postby adidas on Fri May 25, 2001 1:55 am

You're not kidding. If this doesn't work, I'm going to do it the hard way.

I ended up with 536 good roms, that load and I can play. Now if only GoodSNES would recognize them all, I could take the list of games I don't have and decide which ones I still need to download. It's hard after you have 500+ roms to remember which ones you don't have.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

GoodSNES problem

Postby Pdaimaoh on Fri May 25, 2001 8:39 am

maybe they shouldn't have the ZIP extension...

perhaps if they have the .smc extension they would be correct? unless winzip opens em and winrar won't....

I could see where the emulator wouldn't give a shit, but the goodtools would
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

GoodSNES problem

Postby adidas on Sat May 26, 2001 5:05 am

You mean maybe the ZIP's that won't open are just named wrong (maybe?) I'll try to rename a few of them to smc and see what happens.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Re: GoodSNES problem

Postby Class316 on Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:11 am

Actually, there are PLENTY of bad SNES roms, and goodsnes doesn?t recognize them, cause then the ?collection? would be like 10,000 roms. So if a rom isn?t recognized by goodsnes, chances are it has a problem. Bad checksum, hacked, etc etc
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to Console Emulation