Turbo Duo/ PC Engine ISO advice

Sometimes Even Console Emulation Can be Deceptive

Postby adidas on Wed Nov 28, 2001 5:25 am

Can anyone recommend any of the Turbo Duo/PC Engine CD titles? I already have Dracula X and Gate of Thunder (which also has Bonk's Adventure and Bonk's Revenge on the same disc) I'd like to get another ISO but I'm not sure what to get.

I've started to download one of the Y's games a couple of times, but never finished.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Fri Nov 30, 2001 12:00 am

if pd were around, he'll say cosmo(ic?) adventures 1 and or 2..valis 2 too..
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby adidas on Fri Nov 30, 2001 3:11 am

Yeah, I actually thought he would be the first to reply since I thought he mentioned some of the games before, I wasn't sure which ones though.

Now off to download some ridiculously large ISOs.......
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Pdaimaoh on Sun Dec 02, 2001 9:39 am

I don't come through here a whole lot these days (d'oh...)

I trade off between here and a PSX site and upping DW7 is a royal pain in the ass

Cosmic FANTASY 2 is in english, and it is NOT the greatest game, it's a lot like a decent NES/SNES rpg with some groovy cutscenes and good ideas thrown in (and a shower scene! yay!)

great end theme, at least I thougt it was...
also a debug mode to see all the scenes and such, which was pretty cool since I had just got the game when I found that out

btw, your disc with gate of thunder, it has BOMBERMAN on it, too
you have to use a code to access it, but it's still BOMBERMAN!

of the turbo games I have (have played...)
I think Y's book1&2 which came with my turboduo (along with that multigame disc) is a good game with some very good music

Dungeon Explorer 2 is known as the game with my FAVORITE soundtrack, and while it's not the BEST of the BEST videogame music in particular, it is the BEST full soundtrack (again, for my tastes)
it's Gauntlet with RPG elements and hidden characters, with a subquest for each main character as well as the hidden ones and an 'upgrade' for each character, too
a good story
and up to five players (poor me with only one tap and one extra controller and no friends that liked that game...)
still a great single player game and since you get RPG style level up (after boss fights) you can actually beat it by yourself, too!

Dungeon Explorer was one of my first Turbografix16 games when I had that version of the system and I loved it, less secret stuff, but THE BEST ALTERNATE ENDING EVER
if you enter the 'invincible' code the bushes in front of the first castle will warp you to bosses and other strange areas, and once the king leaves later in the game, you can move onto the throne with that code and see the that great alternate ending (don't cheat yourself! get the rom and do it w/o reading any spoiler faqs!)
also good music, blah blah blah, bard is cool because he can change the bg tunes!

Keith Courage in Alpha Zones came with my first turbo, it is a decent game, but I was young and less jaded then...

legendary axe 1 and 2...there was something about those games that I can't remember...I think I liked one and not the other....or hated both but since I paid for them....hmmm

Military Madness is the damn near the clone mother of Advance Wars for the GBA
no CO powers, a 'meaner' story
unfair CPU enemies, and even more unfair is the two player mode, the second player gets to be the CPU units! (no way for first player to win basically...)

NeoNectaris or MM2 I think was released in CD form for the Turboduo, but I never got it
lots of compressed speech from what I remember reading, so there's bound to be something cool to it

any form of Parodius is worthy
so if there's one for the Turbo...

because I'm a pervert, I imported Dragon Knight 2, and while it SUCKS as a game, there are some nice anime chicks in it
I say it sucks because I didn't read squat for japanese back then and I still beat the game (maybe it was the incentive....)
it's a crappy game, I'm sure you can just find the images on the internet anyway, not that any of them are amazing in the first place
famous japanese voice actors on the tracks, though...(the guy that does mendou on UY, that chick that does the chick ranma voice...)

Dragon Slayer was okay for RPGs of the day, I can't play it on ME even cracked, it locks up at the first in game text part (I would try YAME, but YAME pissed me off once, so I'm not in any hurry...) some good ideas in the game, that's for sure
decent story
great 'credit' theme and would've been better if the beginning wasn't fucked up because that moron Giles says some stupid shit and then that moron Logan says more stupid shit and totally rapes the song... (recent ripping beef)
"MANKIND HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE POISON...."
that part still sounds cool

my Turbo collection was piss poor
nobody carried it and it died faster than even the Saturn
I was shocked that they even bothered to bring out the turboduo (even though I got one...heh)

btw
if you find a good rip of DE2, hook me up with a link
my version STILL has the DrPepper syrup on it and I'm too much of a wuss to try to clean it until I know I got a backup burned

too bad all those years of pot smoking sit between now and then, there were a bunch of games I wanted to try out, but never had the money to buy...
now I can't think of any of them!

maybe Valis?
probably a lot of import cartoon/comic shit like record of lodoss war and ranma and such

far east of eden
which I've tried to d/l several times from several places and have been FUCKED every time
RPG, probably difficult to understand if ya can't read the language...not a big obstacle, though.
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby ivwshane on Sun Dec 02, 2001 10:53 am

Man PD you may not post here alot but when you do you have alot to say.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Pdaimaoh on Sun Dec 02, 2001 11:01 am

yeah, well that's the EDITED version, too

a lot

it's two words

you may return to smashing tron people now...
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby ivwshane on Sun Dec 02, 2001 11:05 am

LOL!
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby adidas on Sun Dec 02, 2001 11:38 am

Thanks PD, I'm going to try out at least one or two of the games you mentioned

At the moment I don't know where you can get Dungeon Explorer 2, but it's bound to turn up. I get my ISOs from this message board if you want to check it out.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Pdaimaoh on Sun Dec 02, 2001 12:00 pm

that messageboard looks familiar

I think I used to kill people that went there

I KNOW that 'tru' guy's sigpic...

but I can't remember if he's on my list or not

I'm not in a sign up sort of mood so I'll go another day...
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby adidas on Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:14 am

I'm not signed up myself, I just look at their FTP postings.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Mon Dec 03, 2001 7:30 pm

don't get me started on dw7..holy geezus that hellcloud is one pain in the ass.

i'm at the point where i have just gotten the moss from the hobbit...miracle sword dont fail me now..!
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to Console Emulation