quick console impressions

Sometimes Even Console Emulation Can be Deceptive

Postby adidas on Mon Jun 18, 2001 5:21 am

They just showed a story on the big three consoles and some upcoming titles on Headline News

I though XBOX looked pretty good, except that all they showed for it was racing games. Surely it will have more variety than that? They just show you what they want you to see. There was some game where there a bunch of strange little creatures having a foot race, I don't think I'll be in line for that one. Then there was a very interesting looking NASCAR style game, maybe it was even Daytona. It looks really good.

Gamecube graphically edged out XBOX from what I saw. Unfortunately, all that was reviewed was kiddy games. Granted a couple of the games still looked good. There was an adventure featuring Luigi, and a really good looking Donkey Kong racing. I could do without the pokemon-Mario-Zelda etc. fighting game though.

The only upcoming game they showed for PS2 was a new James Bond, made in the same style as the current N64 James Bond games, which are great fun with 2-4 players. It looked the same as the N64 versions, but much better graphically.

If I were to buy any of these I would have to wait out there retail price, 299$ is way to much for a console, and $199 is a little to much. Beside that fact, I still have fun with my Dreamcast. I can wait a good year to have any of those.

Damn, that Donkey Kong racing looked good
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Pdaimaoh on Tue Jun 19, 2001 10:20 am

"they" ?

who?
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby adidas on Wed Jun 20, 2001 1:59 am

For all you picky bastards:

"They just showed a story on the big three consoles and some upcoming titles on Headline News"

=

"Headline News just showed a story on the big three consoles and some of the upcoming titles for those consoles"

[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Now that we have that all cleared up -

In two years, if Gamecube is 150$ or lower and they have 10 or more games that I want, I'll get it. That's my criteria for buying any system. I didn't buy Dreamcast until it went down to 99$. I didn't buy PSX until it was 120$

I say in two years because I probably won't have any desire for a new system until then. I really don't even play my DC that much. I play SNES (on ZSNES) and MAME more that DC.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Megaman X on Wed Jun 20, 2001 5:22 am

If I'm not mistaken, "they"=CNN
Megaman X
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jun 20, 2001 5:39 am

I dont know why I've never posted about this before. I've know loads about it for ages.

Anyway, I'd go for a game cube over xbox straight away. Some of the titles that are going to be available for it look mind blowing. That luigi game is called Luigi's Mansion and is a kind of action adventure where you have to collect ghosts and stuff.

Nintendo pissed all over Xbox at that E3 thing. Xbox are promising fighting games where you fight through a stack of varying landscapes and stuff like that but none were showen off at E3. Nintendo showed loads of titles off and to be honest, I can hardly wait for a sequel to Mariocart64. Oh, and that monkey ball game looks damn good and OH MY GOD!!!! Has anybody seen the screen shots for Tony Hawk 3??????? DAMN!!!!! Why isnt it coming to DC!!! If I had the money I'd buy a game cube for that game alone!!! Oh and the fact that its gonna be £100 cheaper than the Xbox and released 2 weeks earlier too. Cheeky! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Pdaimaoh on Wed Jun 20, 2001 9:46 am

did I not rant about the Xbox? this is all very old news anyway...but here is why Xbox is horrible for gamers and the VG industry:

1. MS business attitude
2. Demands developers cripple Xbox games, namely, remove keyboard and mouse support from FPS games, or don't announce that it will work, because it will draw more comparisons to the Xbox being a dumbed down PC
3. the Xbox is a dumbed down PC, it is built EXACTLY like a PC, with PC parts, that is NOT how a console is made, a console is made streamlined for games...anyone that says all consoles are dumbed down PCs are the same people that would argue that all videogames are actually RPGs, even though we all know it's not that way
4. hard drive...this falls under 3, but deserves special mention...now your games will have to be installed to play, and you can only have so many at one time, your common HD problems are now an issue for your GAME CONSOLE...
5. BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH...the awful truth that the OS is a windows 2k...without the stability, I guess (it happened at E3...!)
6. Xbox contracts state if a game for Xbox is ported to another system, it MUST have features removed, there MUST be exclusive content for the OLDER Xbox version of any game...
7. it's coming in at the high price of games, I no longer think of myself as arrogant...I am far outweighed by MS..I'm just overconfident...
8. since it's a dumbed down windows OS, and it is structured EXACTLY like a PC, you can expect that any PC made more than a few months ago could and will certainly run Xbox games...prepare for the fastest emulator/simulator turnaround this side of GBA...
9. Japanese gamers have said the same thing I did so long ago..."Xbox? looks like the next 3DO"
10. PSX ripoff...sorry MS, but we already have the hype zombie machine..then again, you know what that means.....
11. 1/2 a billion in HYPE, not that I've seen any, unless they are paying the news channels to talk about it...too bad they didn't spend 1/2 billion on making some killer games instead of half assed PC ripoffs
oh well, their theory is obviously that of the PSX...just make good commercials, the games don't have to be anything worthy

Xbox?
I'd sooner pay full price for a CDi...(not that I ever would)
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jun 20, 2001 1:32 pm

Well said that man!!

THanks for clearing that up Pd. I honestly didnt know that the xbox requires games to be installed to run. If that aint a dumbed down pc then what the hell is!?! The whole point of consoles is the instant gaming ability. In goes disc/cart, in goes pad, off you go. One of the main reasons die hard console gamers dont like playing games on PC. The other reason being that the pansies cant handle playing with a keyboard lol

Thats sold it for me. MS can kiss my peachy arse cos this battle is only between PS2 and Gamecube and my sister has a PS2 already.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Wed Jun 20, 2001 4:18 pm

Hahahaha I didn't know that either, what a crock! I will NEVER buy an Xbox!!!!!!
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Pdaimaoh on Sat Jun 23, 2001 3:16 pm

not that I intend to defend the Xbox, but you should know that I am NOT keeping up to date on the Xbox outside of the mainpage of videogame websites. I do not ever go to Xbox specific pages/sites, mostly because what I know of it doesn't even begin to make me think it is worth my time.

This being said, I have not yet read that all Xbox games must be installed to play. I also don't believe that will be the case. However, I believe that you can expect disgusting load times, and they will give the "option" to install the game to lessen those load times. I'm sure some games will require an install, but that's why I decry the whole idea of packing in a Hard Drive with the system...just like anything else, since each console has it, developers are more likely to support it...sadly, if it has net capability out of the box, that instantly means PATCHES for games, not to mention the biggest Xbox supporters are american PC game developers.

on the other hand, cheesy bullshit like ripping out half the game and then calling it an "add on pack" available for download will also certainly happen. I never liked the DC take on this, where the shit is actually ON the gamedisc, it's just not available to you until you download the "key"
you didn't download new songs in Samba De Amigo, and you didn't download the island nor weapons in Skies of Arcadia

the Samba issue is that you get about five songs to start with, and about 15 hidden...and not time released, either
what a crock! lucky me picked that shit up right before I moved to my nice broadband/not DC compatible situation

but the future for Xbox is just like PC
there will be games that are 'near' ready, and they will be released as full games, since developers know they can release patches for em!

ugh

hey, nice thing at nintendoweb: Amusement Vision Speaks on GameCube

Some juicy comments have been made by the creators of the upcoming Super Monkey Ball and Virtua Striker GameCube titles, including one guaranteed to annoy Sony and Microsoft.

Amusement Vision director Toshihiro Nagoshi went on the record with FamitsuDC regarding their focus on the Nintendo GameCube platform as their system of choice. When asked why his team is focusing on GC, he replied, "Because hardware performance has evolved to the point where the same things can be developed on any platform. So when talking about platforms these days, it's pointless to talk about performance. So our decision making process was simple; what hardware provider don't we hate? For that reason, I settled on Nintendo."
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby adidas on Sun Jun 24, 2001 5:17 am

lol I guess I don't hate Nintendo, either.

You are right on the mark when you talk about that key you have to download on DC. What a pain. I only have one game with that feature, Daytona USA. Before you play online you have to have the key.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:42 pm

That totally sucks!!! If sega wanted people to really use their web access features then they should have set up some free or very low cost numbers to dial up to. Not made sure that the call cost 3 times more than a usual every day call the stupid pricks!!

I made the mistake of buying POD2 which I took back the very next day. Not because the game was seriously bad and completely boring to play but because you needed to play online in order to access all the hidden tracks.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Console Emulation