Best NES Emulator

Sometimes Even Console Emulation Can be Deceptive

Best NES Emulator

Postby Damian on Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:07 pm

I would like to get a few opinions in on this because there are so damn many, and there really should be a top 3 or something.

Adidas (an avid NES user) reckons the best is FCEUlta, I would totally concur with him as it has zip support and other features, but it runs damn slow on this comp so until I try it on the faster one I can't quite say it is yet [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img].

Nesticle is definitely out now, and yet to this day I hear tons of people who still reckon it is the best. Sure in it's day it was great, but now it has not very decent sound, not the best game compatibility, and a bug that annoys me in SMB3 when the whole game "fades out" to each new scene.

Many think Nester is the best, but that can have some problems with incorrect mappers, or you have to download an additional set (just tried it, sound not working??). NESTen does support zips, but you have to click into the zip to get the ROM. Ok, just tried FCEUlta again and this time for some reason ran full speed playing FF Special (zipped heh) but slowed down with SMB3; my computer must be just on the threshold.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Best NES Emulator

Postby adidas on Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:25 pm

Can't you get NesterDC to work? That would solve your problems. I'm going to work now, but if Silverhaze is online maybe he'll walk you through it.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Best NES Emulator

Postby Damian on Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:59 pm

I haven't had the chance to get on the PC downstairs yet, but I have already e-mailed myself the file and shall be getting on it soon [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img].

Sigh, well it turned out that the one disc I was going to use I left in the burner (this disc was given to me). Got to the PC to find that it had been used to "backup" a music CD and taken for walkies back to London. Guess I'll have to wait until I next get to the shops.

[ 29 August 2001: Message edited by: DamianMoran ]
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Best NES Emulator

Postby ivwshane on Thu Aug 30, 2001 6:47 am

What the hell are "walkies"?
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Best NES Emulator

Postby Damian on Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:40 am

Such as when a dog is taken for a walk.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Best NES Emulator

Postby were on Thu Aug 30, 2001 7:46 pm

what's wrong with rockness...????

you should have asked where's the best nes site was or IS??
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Best NES Emulator

Postby Damian on Fri Aug 31, 2001 3:15 am

Rock NES... the name says it all [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Best NES Emulator

Postby ivwshane on Fri Sep 07, 2001 11:51 am

After trying the most popular nes emus I will have to agree with DamianMoran. Fceultra so far seems to be the best choice and having zip support automatically gives it a couple more brownie points.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Best NES Emulator

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Sep 07, 2001 2:36 pm

Hey Damian I thought you bought that fat stack of new CDRs just the other day.

Hmm, maybe the post is out of date now but in any case, go to the Whitgift Centre.

Opposite poundland is a small shop that sells 700mb CDRs for pretty cheap but I got mine from Micro Anvika just by the side entrance to BHS. They do 50 700mb CDRs for £25! Woohoo thats 50p a game for me now!!

ANyway, the whole process is really easy and I'll be in all night tonight seeing as its South Park and Simpsons night. I'm usually up pretty late so if you are about we can see if we can get you started. Only if you have the discs though.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Best NES Emulator

Postby were on Fri Sep 07, 2001 8:19 pm

i seen 50 cdr's 700megs for about 30 bucks after rebate at staples here, though i'm not crazy about "fuji" or "ibm" brandname on a cdr....
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Best NES Emulator

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Sep 07, 2001 8:21 pm

The ones I got were memorex I think.

Havent had a single problem with them yet so I'm happy.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Best NES Emulator

Postby Damian on Sat Sep 08, 2001 3:18 am

The post is out of date, was made on the 29th of last month and as you know I have gotten blank discs since then. Also since then I have tried burning Nester with DJ and it won't burn properly from Image > CDR as I explained a few days ago. I have yet to try out Adida's DJ > NERO copy he sent me, but only because I have taken a rather dim view on the whole thing. Once I get Namco Classics we shall see if I can burn DC games.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Return to Console Emulation