SNES Review: Chrono Trigger

Sometimes Even Console Emulation Can be Deceptive

SNES Review: Chrono Trigger

Postby Zep on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:32 pm

Been playing this game on ZSnes and friggn brilliant.

Squaresoft released this originaly as one of it's final games on the Super NES. It was also released as part of a package called "FF Chronicles" on the Playstation with better graphics and added FMV's.

The basic plot is young kid, Crono (the main character you control), wakes up one morning and goes to a festival to meet his friend Lucca who has built a teleportation invention (much like in the movie "The Fly"). At the fair he bumps into a young lady Marle who decides to try out the machine herself. Now the shit really hits the fan. She's wearing some kind of mystical pendant (heehehe) which causes her to travel back in time 400 years thus turning to teleport device into a time machine! Crono then decided to follow Marle to help her out. Lucca shortly followed after the two once she figured out that she had created a time gateway. Like with any good Back To The Future movie, once you're in the past, things can happened that effects the future. This is the beginning of an adventure where the 3 friends travel through different timeline on an adventure. Like with any rpg game, the big bad that will eventually threaten to destroy the world is revealed during the time traveling adventures of Crono, Marle, and Lucca. The big bad of course is called Lavos. The 3 heroes soon learned that their world would soon be destroyed by a powerful being called Lavos in the distance future. Vowing to not let this happened, the 3 heroes decided to time travel to different periods to find a way to prevent the destruction of their world. Thus, you have the story and quest of Chrono Trigger.
Now the story of Chrono Trigger is somewhat very short and can be slow at times but as you play along in the game, the story becomes very interesting. Now unlike the story of Chrono Cross, Trigger is a story that easier to follow and a more clear objective with better history of it's characters. Some of the small plot twists of Trigger is very interesting as they are revealed. You know about your characters and what they are set out to do. It's a story that is more clean and compact for gamers to understand. The only downside is that the story is a little too short and not in-depth enough compare to other rpgs out there.

One of my favourite parts of the game is the characters. Although the are only a few (7 including Chrono) they are really different from eachother. When visiting the future you meet a Robot who has laser beams and when you go to the middle ages, you meet Frog who is a cursed knight.

The game plays along like most other Square games; top-down view with your chracters running around following eachother. The fight system plays like a FF game but a good thing is you know when there is going to be a fight because the enemies are always on screen so you can run around if you feel like missing out on EXP (or you're a pussy).

The best part though is how the characters interact between them during the fight scenes. You can use "techs" at any time during a fight if you have enough MP. These act as special attacks or magic. You can also get double and tripple techs. This is when 2-3 of your part team up with the techs. Get Robo to throw Frog accross the screen sword first for mega damage!

This game has good replay value too. 12 different endings which can be unlocked at various parts in the game. E.g You can go to the last boss any time tou like through time travel if you think you are tough enough, so depending on how much you have messed with the past (or future) you get a different ending. Once you complete it, you can start "New Game+" which lets you play from the start with all uour old levels.

My game clock is about 7 hours and I haven't beaten the last boss at all (ima play it all the way through). I checked on a FAQ and I'm not even half way through and I still have to get one more character so I'm guessing there is a good 20 hours+ gaming in there.

Overall I give this game a 9/10.

Not bad for a SNES game eh?
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Zep on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:34 pm

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:15 am

heh heh,can be played on the playstation1,and you can VIEW the endings :)

similar game is chrono cross on ps1..similar but forgettable..
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:47 am

Nice review Zep, thanks for that.

How much better are the gfx on the PS1 version of that because Im feeling more inclined to play that version.

While we're on the subject... /me ducks and awaits the beats....

FF7. Played the demo once and would quite like to play it again but cant seem to get it anywhere. I know its big but if anybody knows of a healthy torrent or a way I can get the game then I'd be a happy bunny.
I watched my brother play through most of the game but I did get into Skies of Arcadia and would quite like to try this one.

What does annoy me is the random battles though. That puts me off most RPGs. When you want to explore you just cant. Im happy to fight battles a lot but if I dont want to then I want to have that choice.

Maybe I should look for Skies of Arcadia 2 on the GC.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:59 pm

I take it you want the PSX version? From what I understand the music is is better quality and with an emulator you can also increase the framerate for those slow moments...

I'll have a dig around see what I can find....

EDIT: http://www.newnova.org/

Games>PSX>Final Fanty VII (3CD version)

This game is almost better than Secret Of Mana, enjoy.

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:16 pm

for chrono on ths ps1..i believe there is a cg scene in the beginning..pretty much the same as the snes..
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:25 pm

Sweet!! Thanks Zep!!!

Soon as Im done playing the new NFS game I'll get on that! I downloaded the black edition with all the extras.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:14 pm

That bitch is next on my list....

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:53 pm

I managed to download an NTSC US version of the game for PSX. I tried to get the PC version but couldnt get a working torrent.

Once I fiddled with the epsxe settings I got it looking pretty nice but with a few glitches here and there.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Console Emulation