Once again, I've got to hang it up for a while

Decent ROMS,Fairly fast servers and easy navigation makes an Emu site worthy to post here

Postby adidas on Thu Jul 05, 2001 12:09 am

Rom Request is dead (again)

It's too much to try to keep up with the deleting webspace providers. If I take 1-1/2 hours to upload something, they can delete it in 2 seconds.

The roms I uploaded yesterday are already gone.

I wondered how my site gets so many hits.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... gle+Search click here and I think you'll see.

I've got a pretty damn good spot on Google. 2nd for the search term 'rom request'

So if you go to Google, and you search for a site that will let you make a request, you're going to see my site first.

And I was trying to keep a low profile. Ha! Good job at that, adidas! Initially I wondered how anyone would ever find my little site that was hosted on Tripod.

I kept my keywords and description tags on my page, and I added the Stats4all counter to my explanation, I wonder how much longer people will still come to the site for?

At least now I don't have to worry about where I'm going to upload a 10mb request at.

I don't have to worry about the jackasses that come to my request form and type the description of a rom whose name they can't remember, and expect me to know what that rom is.

Or how about the one that came to my site and typed 'magic engine full' in the rom field and left everything else empty? Yeah, I'll get right on that request, buddy! Let me set aside all the other requests from people who played by the rules so I can do that one right away!

Most people went about things the right way, though. They wanted their roms. But now I'm afraid people will have to fend for themselves, how will they ever find 'Illuison of Gaia' for SNES? lol
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Pdaimaoh on Thu Jul 05, 2001 3:14 am

D'OH!
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby Damian on Thu Jul 05, 2001 4:31 am

[img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img] Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I actually found out about this before I came back here, I went to you're site and it took me about 1/4 of a second to realise you were gone again!

I don't blame you one bit though, it must have been almost hair ripping having all those files deleted just after you had upped them. Small games on some foreign sites generally seem to stay up, why on earth were these deleted, and who deleted them, Tripod?

Be nice to hear more examples of lame requests.

Also, make sure that you log onto to your accounts once every few months or something so that they don't get deleted because of no traffic and also keep the HTML files!

(Hoping not for a few months of course)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby were on Thu Jul 05, 2001 7:24 am

somebody yaped on you.think about changing the .zip to like a jpg or somehitngike that?
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Jul 05, 2001 1:09 pm

Yeah thats what I was gonna suggest. I have to change the file extention names when I move files over the network at work becuase they do regular sweeps for file types like .mpa .mpeg. .mp3 and delete them if they arnt work related.

Ha!! Changing the extention to .mdb means they dont even get looked at.

Cheeky! [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Nice speech Adidas, lets hope the rom request is comes back some day. Hell!! I know I wouldnt have found half the Amiga classics without it.

Hmmm maybe you could leave them as zip files but change the name completely. Add in a txt file telling the person what the correct name should be. Would that work or do you think they'd check that out?

[ 05 July 2001: Message edited by: Silverhaze ]
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Thu Jul 05, 2001 6:01 pm

I don't think it matters too much. Usually the web hosts are pretty wise to the tricks.

As long as bandwith is being used, then they're most likely going to check the account. Then what will they see?

A 5MB JPG file? That's a little suspicious.

I've been going to warez sites for longer than I've been into emulation, and I've seen the warez kiddies use every trick in the book. Eventually the hosts catch on, and then the tricks don't work so well anymore.

The only answer is an FTP and right now that's out of the question.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Jul 05, 2001 6:59 pm

I suggested .mdb because that file extention is an access database file. THose are the only ones that are really large files where I work so a 50mb .mdb file isnt unusual.

Why is ftp out of the question? Do you have to pay for it?

Could you not just provide people with links or is that not the idea you had in mind for your site?

[ 05 July 2001: Message edited by: Silverhaze ]
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Thu Jul 05, 2001 7:13 pm

There are sooo many sites that just link to sites with roms, and they really piss me off! Most of the time they don't work, I don't even bother with them.

That's why I don't just link people to other sites.

FTP is out of the question because my connection is wayyyyyyyyyyy to slow for hosting files for a website. I can set up a ftp right now, but for people who want more than 2k per second, it will be unbearably slow.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:33 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adidas:
<STRONG>There are sooo many sites that just link to sites with roms, and they really piss me off!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cougthcougthA@Hougthcougth*
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Fri Jul 06, 2001 7:20 am

that's an idea..even visual basic files too
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Jul 06, 2001 1:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>*cougthcougthA@Hougthcougth*
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Best ROM Sites