FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decent ROMS,Fairly fast servers and easy navigation makes an Emu site worthy to post here

Postby adidas on Thu Jun 21, 2001 2:02 am

[img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

WHAT THE FUCK! Here is a post from Aceroms news section that I translated from French at Altavista, it's readable, but not perfect

The IDSA, an American organization which defends the interests of certain companies editors of video games, required of us to withdraw all the sections comprising of the commercial plays on the consoles Atari, Nintendo and Sega. Although we consider that the plays that you could download through our site on these machines did not harm these companies because of their obsolescence on the current market of the video games, it does not remain about it less than legally we do not have the possibility of leaving them in free downloading. We thus conform fully to their requirements, and all the sections concerning the caused consoles are removed.

[img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Did I mention that I'm really pissed off now, I had the first 340 MB of the entire SNES collection done. They were the only site that I could get it off of, because they didn't have leech protection on their files and I could use Getright.

MOTHERFUCKER

[ 20 June 2001: Message edited by: adidas ]
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Damian on Thu Jun 21, 2001 2:43 am

Well, I must say that I never really used them. But many others did and it must be a blow not to have completed your SNES ROM collection yet. Do you have any idea how many more ROMS you need? Maybe you could get them off PE2000 if there aren't too many.

So another one bites the dust because of the lovely IDSA. I remember Nintendo wrote Plasticman demanding that all their SNES ROMS be taken down and he said "Sure, I'll take them down right now". A few days later they were back up again, as if they'd never left.

[ 20 June 2001: Message edited by: DamianMoran ]
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby RabidYak on Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:19 am

Looks like those fucks at the ISDA are swinging back into action, I wonder if the big N are with them again.

Ace wasent carrying GBA was it?
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:29 am

Suggesting that I could get the rest of the roms I need off of PE2000.net is almost laughable!

I had (what did I say, 340?) the first 340MB of the complete set, and all I had was the roms that started with numbers, and the letters 'A' and 'B' I got so pissed off I just deleted them. Fuck it.

Can you imagine chugging along on that slow server of PE2000's trying to download a few thousand roms 500k - 2MB in size? And not being able to put those roms in Getright because of their anti-leech script?

I'm not bitching about sites here, they provide a service for free, and I'm lucky to get those services when they are available. But Damn it! THEY WERE FORCED TO REMOVE THEIR ATARI 2600 ROMS!!! HELLO? IDSA, WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!!!

Who makes money off of Atari 2600 carts beside some losers on Ebay trying to make 75 cents off of their badly battered copy of H.E.R.O?

SEGA MASTER SYSTEM? Please. Don't make me laugh. I think the games for this system are less profitable than the 2600 games at this point in time.

SEGA GENESIS? There's a few shops around here trying to unload some used Genesis carts on some unsuspecting schmoes for $2.50 a piece, but come on. The only Genesis game worth $2.50 might be the original Sonic, and maybe a classic like Afterburner or Shinobi.

NES? I don't know about you, but 50 cents is too much to pay for a used copy of Mario/Duckhunt that won't even work. The NES is a prime example of why emulation is good. Anyone who still owns an actual NES and some carts can attest to that.

SNES? This is probably still the most profitable system that Aceroms was forced to take down (NOT SAYING MUCH!). If emulation didn't exist, I might be inclined to put down an insignificant amount of cash for a few favorite carts and a used system. That might just be me, though.

I swear if I ever have enough money to play with I'll put up a REAL emulation site, not just my little piece of crap on free web space that I upload to on my 56k.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby adidas on Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:30 am

No GBA roms Yak.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Damian on Thu Jun 21, 2001 4:08 am

Adidas, why don't you try Edgeemu? (the link that was put up yesterday). I thought Yak said that they had the complete set. Pity you deleted all of your ROMS, emptied the recycle bin yet? [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, PE2000 is shit. I HATE sites that don't let me use Getright, and the site is updated once in a blue moon. Plasticman didn't either...hmm I think I might pay some more attention to EdgeEmu, they might be my saviours. If I use Opera will no pop ups appear?

Just tried it with Internet Exploiter and only got two pop-ups this time. Yesterday it was like I was being attacked from all sides, like a warez site that desn't give a shit. I can easily handle a pop-up per second page or whatever.

[ 20 June 2001: Message edited by: DamianMoran ]
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby RabidYak on Thu Jun 21, 2001 4:51 am

Scalping Atari ROM sites is just plain taking the piss, i find it hard to belive that Midway actually gives a rats arse.

There is no reasoning with Nintendo, they are pissy about anything they made and own. They even killed a NGPC emulator (RAPE) because it had "pokemon" in its name.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Damian on Thu Jun 21, 2001 6:59 am

I can't download fuck all from them. I first tried about two hours ago until they became broken chains (in Getright) just tried again now and the same shit happens. There aren't any good SNES sites any more.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby Keen on Thu Jun 21, 2001 7:05 am

What I hate about anti leech scripts is how they punish site visitors... they have to go thru more trouble to get roms...
I have a 56k too, and what really, REALLY pisses me off is when people try to hide links and then use that DAMN SCRIPT that blocks right clicking. And then they put a message in the box like "No way, you aren't stealing my links!"

ASSHOLES, theres no way to protect html. You can view source anything.

Err, back to subject.

It is stupid for the IDSA to harrass rom sites with like Atari roms.
What does atari do?
Occasionally they release discs like "Namco Classics" well not Atari but Namco then, and this Namco classics cd rom, a cd rom with 650 mb on it will only have like 5 old atari 2600 games on it.

Then they charge $30 for it. I really hate that too.
Keen
PCB Newbie
PCB Newbie

Postby adidas on Thu Jun 21, 2001 7:47 am

snesarena.com is back [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

They not only have anti-leech scripts, but you have to wait a certain amount of time after you download before you can download another file. But hey, roms!

I can't blame webmasters for using anti-leech scripts. It's their money they're using to run the site, they're paying for bandwith. They need to make sure people aren't going to leech.

Just turn off javascript and the no-right click script won't bother you anymore.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby jurucyber on Thu Jun 21, 2001 8:26 am

European 8-bit software (spectrum,amstrad cpc) are exempt from the IDSA's cluthes.They tried to remove these kind of disk images before but they had no legal right to do so purely because 95% of the original games authors gave permision for the roms to be made commercialy avalable.
Only RARE (or Ultimate as they were once known) are still pissy about the idea.Not that its exactly difficult to get hold of their games...

I'm not aware of the legal standing with the german company who owns the Commodore brand,but i couldnt care less if they have a problem with c64/amiga emulation.It isnt hurting anyone.

Quite how Nintendo have the nerve to still
object to Nes emulation bemuses me.

[ 21 June 2001: Message edited by: jurucyber ]
jurucyber
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Jun 21, 2001 2:25 pm

Just think how popular nintendo would be if they opened up their own fat site with all their old NES and SNES roms on it at good speeds. People would love them and its not as if they make any money off them anymore.

If I was chairman of the big N I'd get them out there straight away to improve popularity before the gamecube comes out. That'd be quite a shrewd move.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Pdaimaoh on Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:35 pm

The IDSA is a conglomerate built by several organizations in the industry, as far as I've read

therefore, it is thier job to wail ALL ROMS that have to do with the parent companies, regardless of age, this is where the break in the line comes
many people see warez and romz as different as night and day, but that isn't the case, roms for old systems are NOT public domain, and that's well established, so it's piracy like all other forms ON PAPER, however, we all know they'll never make money off of master system stuff, but the 16 bit stuff is still hairy in my opinion, even moreso now that every good Snes game is getting rehashed on the GBA

funny how Nintendo said that GBA emulation doesn't give you the meat of the GBA (portability) but it's not their bag anyway

why the hell do you want ALL the roms for any system? not a single system has been made with a library of 100% worthy games, you'd be picking up quite a large chunk of SHIT with your gold
maybe you should check out REVIEW sites, or even the crummy reviews at gamefaqs..even though there aren't any screenshots at all

then you can find games whose concepts sound appealing to you, and then you can go download just that one, and it's a lot easier to find JUST ONE game than a FULL SET (for some reason a lot of people dig upping .txt files of full sets....dumbasses, making my searches more difficult...)

and what about emuchina? do they have protection? probably, they sure got too much flash crap goin on last I was there
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby adidas on Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:47 pm

I want the full set because someday if I ever figure out a way, I'm going to put those up on a web site along with who knows what else.

I don't know if that will ever happen, probably not. If I ever get broadband I can put them up on an ftp like Aceroms had theirs on. (BTW their arcade roms are still up, I think. Along with some obscure system's roms)

Edge Emu uses an anti-leech script. It's a good site to go to if you need a few roms, but not if your going to download a couple thousand. (I guess that's kind of the point!)
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby TheLastKamikaze on Thu Jun 21, 2001 6:06 pm

before downloading from edgeemu you have to turn off getright. Right click it in the taskbar and choose close getright. You'll then be able to download from them. I just tried it.
TheLastKamikaze
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby Damian on Thu Jun 21, 2001 8:00 pm

Sigh, you might as well download from PE2000 or SNESArena if you're not using Getright. I remember with my preliminary Neo-Geo collection that I got off Emux (I think they had about 70 or so?) I used to select like 10-15 at a time and just let it chug away for hours. Saving games using the IE save feauture is OK if you want one or two games. But if you want 3-500 it sucks.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby were on Sat Jun 23, 2001 8:21 pm

good thing i downloaded all their neogames too..its was a good site despite their server being down alot...

..as for the snes games..hmmm..what's a guy to do if can't find them? [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to Best ROM Sites