Emulation has been kinda boring lately :/

ROM not loading? Computer crashing? discuss it here

Emulation has been kinda boring lately :/

Postby Class316 on Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:06 am

Amazing how things died off. Before everyone used to get exited with a release, now no more! It?ll probably take something like Naomi emulation to get things going again.
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby adidas on Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:47 pm

Yeah, I haven't been too into it lately. I doubt if anything game related would get me very interested at this point.

Even if it did, the newer arcade hardware that is being worked on now wouldn't run on my computer enjoyably.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby DrSteveW on Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:26 am

I dunno Class, emulation's been a bit boring for sometime now. For me emulation was about emulating "old school". Once PSX, N64 and CPS emulations it kinda "dumbed down" the whole scene. We now get wannabe warez wh0r3z kiddies in it.
DrSteveW
Facey's Nemesis

Postby RabidYak on Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:51 pm

Emulation isnt event driven as far as I am concerned. As long as i'm still playing all the games I always have done, emulation is more then alive. Most of my wanted list has been done in the last couple of years so i'm not sitting around waiting for much to happen, just Guardians of the Hood and Buggy Boy.

Stuff like sys22 and Model 2 is interesting enough and providing progress on the very few mid-late 90s arcade games actually worth bothering with, but its not of any major significance to me since they are all well past my golden age of videogaming. That sort of thing is more noteworthy from a technical and achivement standpoint more then anything else.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby ivwshane on Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:37 pm

For me, my "golden age" of gaming was the 90's, that's when I was finally able to get consoles (since I bought them myself) and that's when I started going to arcades.

But there is only a handful of games that I miss, most notably run n gun and virtua fighter 2 (the saturn port was a good attempt).

Oh and welcome to the board DrSteveW!
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

ehh

Postby Pdaimaoh on Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:39 am

I hardly ever had the space for all my wonderful PCBs and cabinets...

emulation kicked ass because I finally had the chance to play those games without breaking my bank or having a pocket full of tokens

some games I never got a good home version of, either
or just a different one
being able to play the REAL Bionic Commando and the REAL Rastan since my childhood was very kickass

I found emulation just as things were really getting good, it was just before Snes emulation was getting damn killer and lots and lots of stuff kept coming in all the time

plus lots of romsites, and I was busying myself finding and playing games I had enjoyed in arcades

then I moved on to the japanese games I never got to get as an american
and I guess the last things were games I couldn't find or find money for, and Snes RPG translations

I have a Saturn for CPS2 love, and I had a PSX long before VGS was around

and now, emulation has moved to a time I don't know
I stopped playing arcade games in the midst of the CPS2's endings
and not a whole lot of games did I play, only awesome games like Point Blank, Marvel VS Capcom, and Soul Calibur

so emulation of arcade stuff I never really played and never really cared about isn't so great
the vast majority of arcade games pander to an audience of which I am not a member
the rest pander to a crowd of which I am a member, and that's the kind that get home console arcade ports, so I have a home version of Soul Calibur

do I give a damn to emulate the arcade version? no, seeing Mitsurugi as Joe the blonde guy with an eyepatch wasn't all that great, and I swear the game looks better on my DC than I remember it looking in the arcades anyway

emulation isn't ever going to die, but the explosion of the past will never happen again since so much is always being caught up to so quickly now
your best friend's drug dealer
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby ivwshane on Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:30 am

I think it is true that emulation is actually moving too fast. It won't be too long till emualtion will be considered as another form of warez, meaning that things will be emulated so quickly there would be no point in going to the arcade or buying that new game system.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:04 am

I stopped going to arcades about the time that SF2 Rainbow and all those other stupid hacks of SF2 came out.

Might have visited one or two since but I wasnt into it anymore since home systems started catching up a bit.

I got into emulation by accident when I stumbled across a place called Emux one day. There I found prehistoric isle, one of my all time favourite shooters and I was hooked.

The main thing thats stopped me playing these days is the shitness of my PC. Plus the lack of sites to download from these days and Shane has his download speed capped at 20kb the skinflint ;);)
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby ivwshane on Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:16 am

I wished it was me that was capping my upload speed:(
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:57 pm

Serious?

You can only upload at 20kb more or less and thats determined by your ISP?

I thought maybe when you set your own FTP up you could set the bandwidth available to each user.

Oh well.

I'm still leaving collecting mame roms again til after I go back to win98
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby ivwshane on Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:19 pm

Yeah I'm serious! I've been looking for a way to uncap the upload speed but haven't found anything:(
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby were on Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:10 am

i stumbles upon emulation back in 1994?1995? one day in college...bout the same time i stumbled on mp3's and the now extinct unFREEable winamp. i think i may still have that version lying around..2 i think..

but man did it ever freaked my mind,...it was mostly nes emualtors i think and snes in VERY earlt stages with snes9x and other unhearded others.

back then, the emulators were impressive, but with pentiums 75, it REALLy sucked bigtime.

and it :cry: bad fitting most of the roms in one disk adn using pkzip to compress them...especially when it has to fir 2-3 disks..ERROR free..oye..those were the days

he-he..same time i discovered hentai on the net by mistake..such a bad boy.. :wink:
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Sabin on Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:05 pm

Just like to quickly point out that soul calibur on the dreamcast does actually look better than the arcade version. The arcade version runs on namco system 12 hardware (http://www.system16.com/namco/hrdw_system12_page2.html) while the dreamcast is esentially a home naomi system (http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_naomi.html) which is almost 10 times as powerful.
Sabin
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby ivwshane on Wed May 14, 2003 9:29 am

doh!
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Wed May 14, 2003 6:41 pm

Did somebody say it didnt??

I thought everybody knew that. Maybe Im just gifted. Or cursed... one of the 2 Im sure.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Emulation Woes