Oh woe is me with my dodgy mame

ROM not loading? Computer crashing? discuss it here

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Jun 04, 2001 2:51 pm

I can clearly remember being able to use my mouse in MAME to play games such as Op Wolf, That weird game where you have to shoot up the torture room and other trackball/lightgun games. Now I have the option to use mouse for trackball checked in SMame b14 and its just not working. The pad moves the cursor to the extreme outside of the screen but nothing happens with the mouse. I'd love to play some of these games again, any ideas guys?
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Pdaimaoh on Mon Jun 04, 2001 10:04 pm

get an older or newer version of MAME?
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby RabidYak on Tue Jun 05, 2001 1:43 am

Sounds to me like youve got trackball/gun control set to the joystick spinners rather then the rodent. Check the default options first, and if thats OK have a butchers at the individual game settings.

If it that aint it, try a different vertion of SMAME or MAME32 and see if the problem is still present (in a different directory with fresh settings, dont overwrite the other one or its settings).

[ 04 June 2001: Message edited by: RabidYak ]
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jun 05, 2001 2:06 pm

I definately made sure it wasnt set to spinners, that was the first thing I thought of. The problem as been present in the last few versions of mame I've tried but I'll have a look at the individual game settings to make sure. What exactly should I be looking for though as I've looked before now and not seen anything that looks relevant.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Tue Jun 05, 2001 4:28 pm

It's funny you should mention it, I have this exact problem. I'd really like to play Duck Hunt, too.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silverhaze:
<STRONG>What exactly should I be looking for though as I've looked before now and not seen anything that looks relevant.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same thing as whats in defualt, that they are set to mouse. Ive had individual game settings set themselves to non-defaults before so it could be in there.

Try the Dos/win32 vertion that it is built off to check if its a problem at source level. If thats fine its either a bodged configeration or a problem with the build.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Sat Jun 23, 2001 10:27 pm

Finally, after putting it off for so long, I downloaded the DOS version of MAME and now the mouse works perfectly on trackball games.

Check out The Empire Strikes Back, a really cool vector game!
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Sun Jun 24, 2001 9:54 pm

SW and ESB play far better with a flight stick then a rodent. A mouse makes it too easy and you get a better feeling of position with a stick.

That is unless your one of those super-hardcore guys who has built a replica yoke for it.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:22 pm

I've managed to solve the problem now by simply disabling all joysticks before loading a game.

Strange thing is that The Irritating Maze will only allow me to move the ball diagonally from top left to bottom right.

Strange that.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Emulation Woes