Is there any truth to this?

ROM not loading? Computer crashing? discuss it here

Postby jurucyber on Tue Oct 16, 2001 12:05 pm

there after your mp3's

I mean cmon,Napsters been hobbled now,who the hell cares if you have MP-3 of Mulletica on your system? A way to search your HD for possible terrorist actvity,under the guise of protecting the music industry?
No more hoaxes,please.
jurucyber
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Postby ivwshane on Tue Oct 16, 2001 12:32 pm

Yes it is true it's been all over the news. I hope are government is alot smarter than that. That seriously infringes on my privacy.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Pdaimaoh on Tue Oct 16, 2001 8:52 pm

they can't
and they want to ban your ability to make a copy for your own security, JUST to make sure you can't help to pirate

well too fuckin bad

tape recorders didn't suddenly get outlawed when people started sneaking them into concerts

the only thing they could be doing that I know of is to put data on a CD so that if you copy from it, you copy a crappy trojan or virus that erases MP3 files

not only would that be difficult to implement, but would risk destroying data that didn't belong to said recording company

which is where that damages exceeding 5k being terrorist activity comes into play

I think they should make CDs like this enigma one I have
only one program so far lets me copy the tracks individually (CDRwin)
every other program either makes a 1 to 1 image file/CD copy or won't copy correctly at all

same with the Y's CD for Turboduo, that one is severly fucked up in just about EVERY ripping program I've tried

tracks from these discs were eventually ripped by me, but far later than most of my other rips, and a HELL of a lot later than any other CD I tried to rip

what I'm saying is making it more difficult to pirate is fine, it will slow down the piracy a bit
but no matter WHAT they do, piracy will still happen

I wonder how much the RIAA costs those companies? hehe

reminds me of the DEA....
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby adidas on Wed Oct 17, 2001 5:53 am

It says they aren't going through with the plan of actually going into people's hard drives and deleting what they want. That's good. I think someone needs to put a leash on the RIAA though.

I have quite a few mp3's on my hard drive that I haven't shared over the net and that I've ripped from cd myself. Not quite as many as the one's I've downloaded, but how would the RIAA tell the difference?
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby adidas on Wed Oct 17, 2001 6:02 am

What happens when you try to copy that Enigma cd? Does it just make a copy with a lot of static? If that has the new copy protection I found something a while back that is supposed to work around it.

Unfortunately, due to the differences in the way Windows 9X and Windows 2K/XP handle audio, it only works in 9X/ME
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Wed Oct 17, 2001 6:35 am

i believe micheal jackson single has the anti-PC technology.

boy, mighty little boys will be very upset about this...
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby adidas on Wed Oct 17, 2001 6:04 pm

The new Michael Jackson single? Ha! Nobody wants that crap anyway!

If that copy protection crap starts to become commonplace I'm going to have to set up a dual-boot system just so I can copy audio cd's or rip the ones that I want to hear on the MP3 player in my truck [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Of course I can play audio cd's in there too, but I didn't pay 400$ for a regular Sony cd player!
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Pdaimaoh on Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:33 pm

the tracks don't show up right in most windows based programs

I thought it was funnier on the Y's disc, that refuses to play in Winamp, and in the Windows mediaplayer, yet when you 'explore' the disc it has several 4xkb something .CDA files
but you try to listen to them and it just makes a fart noise and repeats that noise over and over

the enigma one has the first three tracks recognized by most programs, but after that it gets screwed up badly

I think they probably put funky index information on it, that wouldn't matter to most run of the mill CD players, but will fuck with PC style players...(I long since broke my old CD player that read index crapola so I can't use that to tell)
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby adidas on Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:44 pm

damn it, I need to get my hands on a copy protected audio cd so I can test it out

[ 18 October 2001: Message edited by: adidas ]
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby adidas on Sat Oct 20, 2001 6:12 pm

Hey PD I ran across this page, it's got some info on Turboduo cd copying
http://www.kolumbus.fi/peukku/overview.html
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to Emulation Woes