MAME as a CPS2 Emulator

Everything pertaining to the more serious side of gaming.

MAME as a CPS2 Emulator

Postby Damian on Wed Aug 08, 2001 6:06 pm

I tried loading up XMenVsStreetfighter on MAME32 B16 today and was quite surprised just how good the emulation was. At first the sound mucked up a tiny bit but after a minute it was playing just as fast as Final Burn with the very occasional double sound coming out after/before a match. Is this because of the faster wMAME build that it plays CPS2 so well? It kicks the crap out of Nebula and the rest and I might even use it were it not for the amount of time it takes to pick up on new games (not a problem in the future though).

One thing which is annoying me a bit though, I have all of my CPS2 ROMs in a separate directory but when I add this directory to the MAME roms one by going through Options>Directories it tells me "Error duplicate gamename: Files\cps\roms;roms error while parsing cmdline"

One more thing, does MAME emulate raster effects yet? If so it is probably the best CPS2 emulator. Also, I discovered while playing the above mentioned that Ken can do Dragon Punches in the air.

[ 08 August 2001: Message edited by: DamianMoran ]
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

MAME as a CPS2 Emulator

Postby were on Wed Aug 08, 2001 6:51 pm

that is unhighly unusual for an emulator to be faster than its dos? counterpart since its quite known dos applications are much faster than windows ports, especially mame32 is not really a fast application than mame for dos.

if u have a fast system,then it probably won't matter..maybe playin nba jam
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

MAME as a CPS2 Emulator

Postby Damian on Wed Aug 08, 2001 10:59 pm

Yeah, NBA Jam runs full speed on this system. It's a 750 Athlon with 64Meg of RAM. But the new Nebula which is meant to run 30% faster only runs slightly faster, and is not full speed yet. Maybe the new Nebula is optimised for Intels? Everyone should give it a go so see if it is an improvement.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

MAME as a CPS2 Emulator

Postby were on Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:16 pm

nebula for intels?I'm not sure..it would have been HIGHLIGHTED as saying such and would have been a popular download emu.

anthlon?with only 64megs?that's pretty darn sweet with only that much power...
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

MAME as a CPS2 Emulator

Postby RabidYak on Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:45 pm

MAME lacks raster effects at the moment. Im sure its on somebodys list but theres alot of core work going on at the moment so theres not much going on game-wise at the moment.

MAMEw is bloody easy to compile compared to the DOS vertion (the compilation package is ready to go as soon as its unzipped). Adding CPS-2 games looks pretty damn easy since they are all already in the source, they just need CRCs for the XORs and activating. Ill post instructions at the weekend if anybody wants them.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

MAME as a CPS2 Emulator

Postby adidas on Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:13 am

When is it useful to compile your own version of MAME? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've never done it!

I know you could add CPS2 releases to MAME before the next version came out, but can you do it with other systems as well?
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

MAME as a CPS2 Emulator

Postby RabidYak on Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:31 am

The reason I do it is to add pong and Monaco GP, but theres plenty of other stuff you can add.

- Aaron Giles' between beta source fixes.

- The modified NG driver thats knocking around recently

- Tempory bodges for the knackered sys16 games

- Diggerman (not in the source, but its easy enough to get the code if you ask around)

- Anything thats disabled but playable (Manic Square is the only thing at the moment I think)

- Other stuff from MASH's zip-o-source

- various homebrew hacks

Alot of the above stuff is in some unofficial builds, but thats no fun [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img].

I keep meaning to try and add some of the stuff thats in PacMAME, but I never get round to it.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Return to Computer Emulation