UK Bans Manhunt2

Discuss all things console related

UK Bans Manhunt2

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:53 am

UK, June 19, 2007 - Manhunt 2 on Wii and PlayStation 2 has been banned after the British Board of Film Classification refused to give the game a rating due to its "unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone... which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing".

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/797/797657p1.html

Well shit, there they go telling us what we can and cannot buy and play again while sick films like Hostel which is little more than a torture film get released with no problems what so ever. I cant say I was particularly looking forward to the game as I found the original to be pretty shitty but I'd have still bought this just because its finally something for the Wii that isnt a tech demo expanded or a gimmick.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Re: UK Bans Manhunt2

Postby Damian on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:09 am

Highly unusual move. Of course I would have banned it for different reasons if it was anywhere near as terrible as the original ;).
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby Zep on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:49 pm

Saw this on the BBC this morning. They actualy said it was the Nintendo Wii version which is the most controlversial (hoho). The idea of cutting somebody head off wasn't bad, but the fact you actually do the motions with the controller was deemed "an outrage".
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:48 pm

Hahaha yeah thats it. They couldnt ban the Wii version and not the PS2 one so they did the lot.

Damian is right, the first game was shit. I just wanted something unusual for the wii instead of the torrents of shitty tech demo games. I bought Kororinpa yesterday without checking the reviews first and thinking I might get something new and original!! It plays well but its monkeyball with a sensible camera and is also way too short according to reviews.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RaoulDukeGonzo on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:17 pm

Yet it's "scientifically" proven that games are less engrossing than films.

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=109144

I agree with Haze on the subject of why films like Hostel aren't being removed from cinemas and DVD shelves as well. Not that i'd agree with that either, can't stand this censorship that's being spewed from Parliament. Grrr!
RaoulDukeGonzo
PCB Newbie
PCB Newbie

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:56 am

That was a great article!!

"Gamers appear to forget they are playing games less readily than film goers forget they are watching a film because they have to participate in the game for it to proceed. They appear to non-games players to be engrossed in what they are doing, but, they are concentrating on making progress, and are unlikely to be emotionally involved."

Hahahaha love that one!! I'll hit Michelle with that next time she asks if Im ok cos I appear to be off planet somewhere staring at the screen! LOOK LOVE! IM CONCENTRATING ON MAKING PROGRESS HERE!!!
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Console Games