Buying a 360 on the cheap -need advice

Discuss all things console related

Buying a 360 on the cheap -need advice

Postby Zep on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:43 pm

Need your advice again fellas.

I've decided to go for a 360 rather than a Wii (for now) but I wont have the cash for another two months to buy a premium 360. However, I came across this add:

http://computers.uk.freeads.net/Boxed_X ... 121229.htm

It's a core system for £70. The catch is that it has an "unreadable disk error." I emailed the seller and got this response:

Hi there,

Just to answer your questions:

When you press the power button the circle is green. I have never had the circle of death (red light) its always green.

I am not sure of the exact postage i would estimate it at around £10-£15.

This is the Core console, boxed and comes with the controller, the power brick and the TV cable - all are perfectly working. I also have the receipt and all the manuals, booklets and warranty documents.

The XBOX 360 does not have an error code. It boots up as usual to the welcome screen but when you insert a disc it does not read it. I personaly think its an error with the DVD drive as it displays "Unreadable disc" everything else seems to work fine.

I have tried playing my games and one DVD and it didnt work with any of them.

I have attached a picture of the start up screen. The console connects to the internet from there but every time i put a game in it sais "unreadable disc" at the bottom bit where it sais "open tray" on the picture. I hope this makes sense.

The console has been well looked after and not been used much. You would have a bargain if you could fix it.

Many thanks

Do you guys know about this error? Could it be fixed if I just replace the DVD drive with a replacement HD-DVD Drive?
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Re: Buying a 360 on the cheap -need advice

Postby Damian on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:41 pm

HD-DVD drive does not play games. You would need to buy a drive off somewhere like ebay (I've seen some for sale) and then alter the firmware to match the SID of the console.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby Zep on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:43 am

I've looked it and the drives are £15 for an LG and £30 for a Samsung. All this fucking around hardly seems worth it now. It would end being cheaper than going to the shops and buying a 360 but I would rather pay that extra for warranty. This would be a good deal if I already had an xbox 360 DVD drive :?

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Zep you hit the nail on the head there!!

Its not worth the fucking bother!! Ask Damian about removing a DVD drive from a 360! The removal isnt the hard thing, its the getting in there in the first place and honestly, by the time you've farted about with everything you may aswell have got a new one which will give you the warranty which is just what saved my bacon! £80 per repair is a lot and I'd go for a new one just for peace of mind if nothing else.

You considered getting a core and buying the HD seperately?? You might be able to save something doing that if you're happy with a wired pad for the short term?
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:07 pm

I was considering buying the core and getting all the extras from ebay and that but again, I don't think I can be arsed scurrying around the Internet like the littlest hobo looking for deals. I'll just hold out and buy the premium packagae new with all the warranties- at least everything will work. And fuck it, if it's around £250, I'll get the elite version. That fucker looks meaner than a night rider dildo.

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:20 pm

Maybe tomorrow you'll wanna settle down,
Until tomorrow you'll just keep moving on!!

The Elite will be more expensive than the 360 premium to the tune of about £80 - £90 in Game according to the dudes in there and for nothing more than a bigger HD and out dated HDMI support Im not sure how worth it that is. It doesnt support the same version of HDMI that the PS3 supports, for some weird reason they went with an earlier version.

Still....you're right in your looks comment! That sucker would match my TV like a badboy!!!

YEAH YEAH!!
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:23 pm

Just got a 360 premium on with gears of war and 2 year warranty from ebay. Should have it set up by the end of the week. Shweeeeeeet.

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Zep on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:17 am

Well damn, I checked my ebay this morning and it turned out I'd nearly got done by a scammer. What fucking cunts.

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:25 am

Dude what happened??
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:01 am

I bought a premium system with G.O.W and 11 months warranty for £230 with the Buy It Now option. I hadn't realised that the dude wasn't accpeting paypal and was asking for a cheque and because it was late at night, I decided to wait till morning and arrange a pick up time, where to send the money to etc. When I checked the Items Won tab, there was a blank. I tried to find the auction under search and it was gone. I'd written down the auction number but got a message from ebay saying the auction had been taken down and that the seller was no longer registerd on ebay. I then recieved a message from ebay that user "xxx" was under suspicion of being a fraudster. I'm so lucky I didn't order the 360 in thre morning or afternoon. I would have posted a cheque right there and then cause I was excited about getting a new toy. :\

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:42 am

Wow yeah lucky escape there mate!! Well all good things come to those who wait, Im sure I'll be running you off the track in Flatout Ultimate Carnage in no time at all! :D
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:39 pm

Silverhaze wrote:Wow yeah lucky escape there mate!! Well all good things come to those who wait, Im sure I'll be running you off the track in Flatout Ultimate Carnage in no time at all! :D

I see you talk the talk, but can you walk the.... hehehe

I'll find out soon enough, just ordered a core system with Forza 2 :)

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:35 am

I can indeed walk the walk! ;o)

Im still holding onto my 10th in the country high score in the Baseball minigame and last night some complete stranger messaged me asking for advice lol

I thought about Forza but decided I'd never play it. Flatout is much more my sort of thing although I also bought The Darkness and Resident WiiVil 4 which I wont be playing at least until Im done with The Darkness.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Console Games