PS3 Virtua Stick High Grade

Discuss all things console related

PS3 Virtua Stick High Grade

Postby RabidYak on Wed May 30, 2007 3:23 pm

So I mentioned in another thread the other week that i'm starting to get the arse with my X-Arcade for fighting games since it needs semi-constant maintenence and is a bit on the bulky side, which has led me into buying one of these -

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-1rjw.html

Its a PS3 stick made by SEGA for Virtua Fighter 5 with actual Japanese arcade parts in it, which for some reason has been designed to also work with PCs over USB with no drivers. Its fairly hefty so it doesen't slide about on desks when your using it and its made out of a combination of metal and hard plastic, all of which meant it cost me almost as much to get the thing delivered from Hong Kong as it did to actually buy it in the first place.

Having given it a workout in CVS2 and SSF2T courtosy of NullDC and MAME respectively, i'm definatley satisfied with the goods. Using Japanese parts and layout means that its allot more sensitive and easier to use then American style stuff, with the stick just needing light taps from neutral to register thanks to a smaller throw and less spring resistance. The buttons only need a slight push to register rather then a solid tap since the microswitches are mounted much higher, plus its easier to get your fingers to them thanks to the curved layout. I'm going to need a bit more practice before i'm fully adjusted to it since there is enough of a difference between the two styles of parts to throw you off when you change, but that won't take long and it'll be worth the effort.

Highly recommended for PC use if you can lay your hands on one. Its not extortiantly expensive at £40ish considering the build and parts quality, but shipping and customs costs can push the price past sensible levels if you don't have that sort of money going spare. I can't comment on how good it is for PS3s since I don't have one, but I should imagine that it'll be just as decent since thats what it was made for in the first place. I'll still be using my XA for MK and most other types of games, but this is my new weapon of choice for Street Fighter and similar titles.

All I need now is somebody to get something out for the 360 so I can bloody well play the back compatable copy of Third Strike I got a couple of months ago. I'm not sure whether its the game itself or the emulators, but there is something not right about the controls in the DC version.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Re: PS3 Virtua Stick High Grade

Postby Silverhaze on Wed May 30, 2007 4:40 pm

Nice!!

Shame you cant get them easily over here like you can with the X-Arcade though.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Thu May 31, 2007 12:20 am

$80 + customs + shipping? I can't see spending all that cash for an arcade stick.

Although it does look quality. Too engrossed in Nintendo DS atm to really play anything else anyway.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Thu May 31, 2007 8:18 pm

Slowly working my way througth a DS backlog is the other thing on my gaming plate at the moment, i'm currently on Portrait of Ruin with Pheonix Wright 2 next and Hotel Dusk after that.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Return to Console Games