Mario & Luigi - Partners in Time.

Discuss all things console related

Mario & Luigi - Partners in Time.

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:29 pm

I recently got this for my Birthday and had been looking forward to it so I got right on and started playing.

Well....while I enjoyed all of the game very much its easy to tell that it was designed with a younger audience in mind. I died a total of 3 times throughout the entire game and each time I did a quick special mushroom sorted me back out.

I completed the game with about 25 hours on my game clock so while its got quite a lot of lastability it was dissapointing to find very little in the way of replayability. My spirits were lifted as I watched the ending sequence where Baby Mario and Luigi offer their hammers as presents to their future selves but my temporary hopes were dashed on the rocks of despair as the end credits rolled and ended and the game went back to the intro screen. I was hoping to start playing through again to achieve new heights in levelling up and with the possibility of new moves provided by the new hammers but no.

To be short on coins in the game is also a rarity so you can pretty much buy all the mushrooms and weapons you like and completely overwhelm the enemy with special moves. Even the final bosses were fairly easy which is a shame as there is no difficulty setting that I could find. Being level 36 as most of my characters were should be plenty high enough to complete the game without breaking a sweat on the final bosses.

The game has the addition of badges which can be purchased from a hidden shop in exchange for beans which are found underground, marked by a X symbol on the floor. Only one or two of these are really worth having, the best being the Treasure 1 badge which awards you with rare items such as the best clothes in the game when you defeat enemies. Having this badge makes things easy.

I would reccomend this game to anybody that enjoys RPGs but I'd have to also reccomend that you set aside a weekend and hire it from Blockbusters because once you finish the game there is little to make you want to play through again. No secret areas or items or bosses or anything like that.

The script was quite nice with some fairly funny moments, bright and bold colours with good animation and the sort of sound you would expect of a Nintendo RPG. There were not too many occurances of the pallet swap enemies you get in some of these games although there were more towards the end of the game.

So overall, an enjoyable yet ultimately dissapointing experience. If you have a spare 25 hours you would like to kill then this is a great way to do it but after that well.....give it 6 months and maybe you might want to play through it again. Personally, no replayability is criminal! Even Super Mario World had replayability, allbeit limited.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:55 pm

seen that there is a"princess peach" ds game..what the hell is that about??
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:52 am

Gawd knows!! I saw that too, bet its a pile of shite!
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Console Games