Father Charged With Deliberately Hitting Own Daughter With C

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

Father Charged With Deliberately Hitting Own Daughter With C

Postby DonCatoli on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:56 am

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_11602.aspx

Father Charged With Deliberately Hitting Own Daughter With Car
Friday June 1, 2007
What initially appeared to be a tragic accident is now being considered a vicious act of malice after a father allegedly ran over a trio of young people, one of which was his own 16-year-old daughter.

It happened at Birchmount and Bay Mills Blvd. in Scarborough near Sheppard on Friday afternoon, right beside Stephen Leacock C.I., where two of the victims are students.

Police believe the father was enraged with his daughter's choice of a boyfriend, and when he saw them together Friday he allegedly aimed his van in their direction. A third person was also hit.

"The car came along and it appears that it deliberately ran them down," confirmed Sgt. Jane Cassells. "The father, receiving information today, he came here on the scene with his vehicle and [allegedly] deliberately drove it towards a group of people."

The vehicle ended up on a front lawn, coming to a dead stop after hitting a tree.

All three were rushed to separate hospitals with non-life threatening injuries. Authorities say the worst of those is a broken hip. The other two victims, both males, were aged 18 and 21.

"The two males got up and ran towards Stephen Leacock high school and this is where the driver was subsequently arrested," adds Detective Don Pyke.

"It's very unusual. I don't think I've ever investigated one family member running over another family member."

In a strange twist, the daughter's boyfriend, Pream Anandarajah, was also the vicitm of a violent attack six weeks ago.

At the end of April, Anandarajah's home was gutted after a Molotov cocktail was thrown through the living room window.

"He was just running saying 'My girlfriend, my girlfriend!" a witness to Friday's incident recalled.

The man behind the wheel, aged 43, has been charged with three counts of attempted murder, but no names have been released yet.

Police are asking any potential witnesses to come forward and aid in the ongoing investigation.

"If there is anybody that was here ... we would certainly appeal to them to contact Traffic Services," Cassells said.
DonCatoli
PCB Newbie
PCB Newbie

Return to General Banter