Anyone know what they pay to work at Gamestop?

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

Anyone know what they pay to work at Gamestop?

Postby Pdaimaoh on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:12 am

My job bites, it's hard, and I've been meaning to quit for years. I make decent money, but it's not great. I hate the environment, and most of the people I work with are assholes. There's virtually no room for advancement anymore, unless someone dies, and I don't want to murder just to get a better paying job (unless it's murder for hire, which I would do for the right wage...)

Tomorrow is the end of a two week vacation I basically had to fight to get even though I earned twice that in vacation time they never let me take. I've rested up, I feel good about things outside of work, but the nowhere void that I have to go back to on Tuesday scares me. I don't mind September being an extra paycheck month, but I do mind college football starts and they have me working Saturdays now for rough rough hard work and then no parking when I finally get home.

*grumbles about being too paranoid to go back to dealing
your best friend's drug dealer
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:38 am

Welcome back Pdaimaoh! Long time no see!

Sorry I cant help with employment in the US though.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Pdaimaoh on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:37 pm

BURN on my personal finances! I knew I was getting a half paycheck across my vacation time, but I didn't realize it was already there, I'm a handful of hundreds down on my account! Damn fun vacation and irresponsible spending.

I blame my brother's impending baby making me drive all the way back home and buy presents.

Oh well, hey, you can always help me find employment somewhere else, what do they pay gamestore employees where you live? I got a shiny passport and all sorts of documents proving my citizenship in several different lands.
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:49 pm

Hahaha ok well I would guestimate that employees in Game at sales assistant level would be on roughly £6.50 to £8 tops. Thats the bottom of the barrel and probably more on the weekend too so store managers would probably be around the £16k or £17k a year mark to start off on. Thats just a total guess though.

Hey theres always minimum wage McDonalds over here! They're always hiring and I hear they pay about £4.75 per hour! WOW!!!

Temp agencies can get you a job in no time over here and in London you're looking at £9 per hour minimum, more likely to be about £11 so £77 per day isnt too bad! ;)
Further out from London in the green suburbs you're looking at £6.50 to £7.50 per hour as fairly standard. Unless you got some mad skills in something they desperately need.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:30 pm

gamestop employees? hahaha very low paid. $9/hr if you're lucky unless you're higher up than the average idiot manning the cash register and stocking the shelf

And some McDonald's are paying $9 to start here :lol:
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:11 pm

where im at,becaose of the increased revenue in the past yeae,ALL employees get a 20% increase in salary.

i personally getitng sick of the bs from IN and outgoing calls,but i cant say much more due to being discreet abot the new confidential papers i had to sign.

not sure about gamesto,since we dont have those kind of shops up here.but yeah.i can see it become frustuating when you get your patcheck,you need to pay your bills, an dall you have leftover is barely enough for soem groceries.

maybe you could transer to another gamestop in a different state or town
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Pdaimaoh on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:47 am

Nine bucks an hour actually doesn't sound that bad. All I want is a basic bitch register job anyway. I'm looking at this as a two-job plan. My current job doesn't pay a hell of a lot more than that, and it's hours are fucked up. The worst part is that it's a physical labor intensive job and my hardest day is the last day of my workweek, so I have all week to get worn out and then get absolutely destroyed. My first day off is always recovery time, I don't do shit because I'm in literal pain. That's got to stop.

The idea is that a trade off for a single decent paying job is that two EASIER jobs will be easier...and pay more in total. Given that I spend a fair amount of my time playing games or fucking around on the internet means to me I could be spending that time pressing keys on a register and earning more money. Working as a GS employee isn't all riches and glamour, but I see them playing videogames all the fucking time. I figure it's like other jobs I've had, were there are times you get rushed and other times it's dead and I can play some games instead of pay for them (haha!)

Is there a sales quota for GS employees? I can't see them working on a comm. basis, but anything is possible. I think I'll start buggin the ones near me for a fulltime position while I look for a good nightshift job.

Thanks guys!
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:41 am

We have a major chain in the UK, used to be called Electronics Boutique which I believe may still exist in the US. They are called Game now.

In those shop the best I ever see the guys doing is having a sneaky go on the DS but we have a smaller chain called Game Station and those guys are less average sales clerk types and more gamer types because they are always playing games.

Shame that they are less reputable. I always go to Game because they have much better policies on game returns and I know a few of the guys to say hello to in there.

Im sure Game Station is more fun to work for but Game have their heads screwed on better for the customers. You dont have to fight past a bunch of teenager crowded round the little 15" portable gawking at the new version of SF2.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby KoHC on Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:45 am

Don't bother with Gamestop. Minimum wage + they force you to sell their piss-poor "Game Informer" magazine or membership card. You don't make a sale on those (or not enough) they will fire you. Heck, even working in fast-food chain will give you more money with less bitching.
KoHC
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:20 am

Woah KoHC lays down the law!! :lol:

Are you talking from experience? That sounds like a lame place to work for sure!!
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby KoHC on Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:37 am

No, thank god I didn't. A friend of mine applied and worked for about a month during Halo2 launching. He has another job at that time and wants to see if Gamestop will be a better place to work.

Here's the best part: He's just a regular cashier working in 7-11. And yes, even 7-11 pays him more than Gamestop does ($8/hour compare to $6.75/hour). :lol:

Keep in mind that any store that opens 365 days a year (minus a day or 2, depends on the company) and focus on end-users will always schedule you to work during weekends. After all, that's the time people come to shop, right?
KoHC
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Postby geesehoward on Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:35 am

seems like a fun place to work, at least that's the impression i always got.

"the whole world's about to end over a goddamn puppy"- Paranoia Agent
geesehoward
PCB General
PCB General

Return to General Banter