Old School - The Outfoxies

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

Old School - The Outfoxies

Postby RabidYak on Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:27 pm

Theres a couple of interesting games in MAME that arn't fully emulated which I make a point of check in on every few versions to see how they are going. One of those games is Namco's The Outfoxies, which I found today to be in well playable condition despite a few visible glitches and an unfinished message when loaded.

The game is a bit hard to describe as there isn't really anything else like it, but its sort of a mix between a platform shooter and a fighting game. You choose an assassin from an assortment ranging from a smartly dressed woman to a trained gorilla and you take part in somesort of competition to kill all the other characters in turn in a series of environments ranging from an arms factory to a flying sea plane.

Each environment is basically a free roaming platform shooter level filled with weapons, obstacles and hazards which you have to use against your opponent to deplete a fighting game style energy bar before they do the same to you. What really makes the game unusually good is how everything interacts with eachother. Characters get blown around by explosions, the boat and plane stages rock backwards and fowards, stuff catches fire, sharks attack if you fall into thier tank and so on.

Graphically, the game is about what youd expect from 1994. It makes good use of scalling to zoom in and out of the environment so both you and your opponent are always on screen, as well as rotation for the afformentioned plane and boat. The sound, which has only recently been sorted to a useful degree in MAME, is also what you'd expect.

I've got a few screenies of the game in action since its so difficult to describe and because there is a bit of a shortage of them on the internet, which you can have a look at here - http://photos.yahoo.com/rabidyak1

Note the scaling between the second and third, which are the same stage zoomed all the way out with the characters at either end and zoomed all the way in with them next to each other. Also note the fourth, which is the rotating plane level.

Thats about all I can say about the game aside from go and check it it out, the ROM set is only 8 megs and and its probably one of the most original games you'll play in a while.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:26 am

Thanks for the mini review Yak.

Where did you scoop that game up from?

Oh god damn it!!!! I knew there was something I meant to do before leaving for work this morning. Start a MAME torrent up. :lol:

Oh well. :roll:

This looks like my sorta game. Almost a precursor to the Powerstone games in a way.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:56 pm

I can't remember where I got the Outfoxies ROMs because i've had them for donkeys, but i'm currently getting other stuff from emuchina's english branch at http://www.romshare.net.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Class316 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:45 pm

Hard to believe that there was a time when I thought 8mb was a lot to download
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:35 pm

damn right there Class!!

Also with Dreamcast images I used to shudder at the thought of 700mb!!!

Used to take all week and now I think 'Ahh sod it, I'll start that now and it'll be well done by morning'
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to General Banter