New monitor time

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

New monitor time

Postby Zep on Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:50 pm

the other day I got this: http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=314421

my original intention was to buy some hardware to set up a LAN, but I saw this and thought it was time to get rid of my massive CRT.

the transition is amazing. I have never really used a LCD before and it's much nicer on the eyes.
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:20 pm

Yeah, now that I use my notebook primarily, I wondered how I put up with that old CRT for eight years.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:20 am

Yeah they are much sharper and all this stuff about colour reproduction and brightness and blacks and things is pretty overblown too. The black on my laptop looks pretty deep and its the same on my LCD at home.

Nice one Zep!!

I got this a while back

Samsung Syncmaster930BF

Heres a better pic.

Only problem with it is theres a little bit of leaking light but thats only noticable on a full black screen. Its so sharp I cant watch my old DVDs on it, House of Flying Daggers looked like shite!!

Perfect for gaming most definitely. HL2 looked so much better it was silly!!

The one thing I havent yet tried is hooking my Xbox360 up to it. I bought the VGA lead about 3 weeks ago but havent got round to testing it. I suppose Im too used to widescreen

All is not lost....give me another month and Im gonna buy a 37" HDTV from LG. Shame I couldnt get it sooner, those world cup matches would be great!!

I still think that the most impressive thing was the space saved on my desk!! Im running 2 LCD monitors I spread the desktop over when I need to. Otherwise I just use the one pictured. The missus also bought a cheaper Samsung LCD a while back and since both PCs share the same desk its really saved some space!
Oh, the desk is home made by the way and runs almost the length of one whole wall. More like a big shelf than a desk I suppose.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:41 pm

You get what you pay for with both types.

The sort of CRTs you get free with computers or down your retail chain are almost always shite, you don't get good ones unless you go looking for them and are willing pay a bit more. Same goes for LCDs, except theres a much bigger gulf in terms of quality and price between the crap and the good stuff.

I'm sticking with the former at home for now when it comes to monitors, LCDs that can legitimatly match a high end CRT have only started showing up relatively recently and i'm not going to invest until they stop costing twice as much.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:00 pm

I thought mine was quite reasonable to be honest.

I went through Dixons today and was amazed at the range of 15" LCD TVs they have in there for around the £300 to £400 price range. I suppose these companied flog whatever they think they can and laugh about it but why would somebody buy one of these things?!

You could so easily buy a monitor and hook a tuner up to it for much less and get a far bigger screen!
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:41 pm

LCD TVs tend to have better contrast ratios and viewing angles then Monitors, althougth they usually have slower response times. They also have allot of other gubbins that you don't need in monitors like picture filtering and the ability to deal with TV standards as well as computer signals.

Having glass in these things costs more then you'd think as well, I know from work that your looking at £40 extra if you want that on an LCD display.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Return to General Banter