'Original' Star Wars movies coming to DVD

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

'Original' Star Wars movies coming to DVD

Postby Silverhaze on Mon May 08, 2006 10:10 am

The original theatrical versions of the first three “Star Wars” films are finally coming to DVD on September 12, two years after diehard fans blasted George Lucas for releasing only the digitally modified 2004 versions of the celebrated trilogy in a boxed collection.

You can read more at CNN
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Class316 on Mon May 08, 2006 3:06 pm

when I first read this I thought it was fake, but it’s on starwars.com! It’s quite outstanding! However, I doubt Lucas will do the cleanup he made for the 2004 versions. But hopefully they will at least be anamorphic transfers.

I will likely get these official versions even though I already have the OT non-SE on DVD already.

We will finally have a proper version of Han shooting Greedo first!

Over all I think there are good parts of the SE versions but they really ruined thing with little things such has:

Han/Greedo

Luke telling R2 “you’re lucky you got out” instead of the original “you’re lucky you don’t taste so good”

Changing the voice of Boba Fett

Wish there could be a new version with silly things like that fixed but with SE enhancements.

By the way, does anyone else foresee some sort of “Ultimate Star Wars boxset - 30th anniversary edition in 2007?

"Han Shoots First" even has its own entry on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Shot_First
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Mon May 08, 2006 6:32 pm

I'm going to wait until the internet has picked this release to pieces before I make a purchase decision, the colour balance and sound mix were a shambles on the 2004 SE release and I trust Lucas and his cronies about as far as I can throw them in regurds to getting the film itself right.

Its bad enough that you have to buy the shitty new versions to get them.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Mon May 08, 2006 6:58 pm

man is lucus rich enough!? lol

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Class316 on Tue May 09, 2006 2:23 pm

RabidYak wrote:I'm going to wait until the internet has picked this release to pieces before I make a purchase decision, the colour balance and sound mix were a shambles on the 2004 SE release and I trust Lucas and his cronies about as far as I can throw them in regurds to getting the film itself right.

Its bad enough that you have to buy the shitty new versions to get them.

It will probably be similar to the "faces" LDs.
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Thu May 25, 2006 12:28 pm

News update:

By most everyone knows that Lucasfilm caved into the demand of the fans and will be releasing the original Star Wars trilogy (Non Special Edition) on DVD.

Fans wanted the O.T. on DVD, they wanted the films in thier original form forever in a pristine DVD form.

Well, its turns out that the old saying "Be careful what you wish for, you may get it" is going to bite the fans in the rear end.

It seems that Lucasfilm has decided that they do not want to spend much in the way of effort or resources in putting a pristine cut of the films on DVD, instead the fans will be getting whatever quality of the films was on a 1993 Laserdisc set.

Check more out here
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Fri May 26, 2006 6:04 pm

My intention to buy the release disapeared when I read about the half arsed effort they are making of it.

If guys on the internet can make half decent anamorphic discs with laserdisc captures, then theres no excuse for those lazy fucks at Lucasfilm not doing it when they have the source material that those laserdiscs were made from in the first place.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Zep on Fri May 26, 2006 6:35 pm

BluRay is on it's way too - 25 gigs of digital bliss.
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Class316 on Sat May 27, 2006 8:41 am

Zep wrote:BluRay is on it's way too - 25 gigs of digital bliss.

BluRay is also going to be fighting with HD-DVD. So there's no point in adopting one format for it to go the way of betamax.
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Tue May 30, 2006 9:46 am

Im predicting Blu-Ray to be the next betamax actually. Basically because I think HD-DVD will get too much of a foothold before it comes to our shores.

With the fiasco thats the PS3 at the moment and a price tag of over £400 I certainly will be thinking more than twice about going for a PS3. They really are going to have to pull something special out of the bag to get my attention.

Next system for me is the Revolution.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to General Banter