Live Advertising in games

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

Live Advertising in games

Postby Zep on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:47 pm

I have been playing Rainbow Six: Lockdown recently and in some levels you see posters on the walls and while you play on-line, these change (McDonalds, Coke etc etc.).

Somebody on a message board poster showed this though:

Surely this is too much advertising.

What do you think?
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:31 pm

"The Hills Have Eyes" Coke machines? lol
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Class316 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:46 am

:shock:
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:36 pm

Heh yeah you can setup Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 to display various billboards around your park either with you own pics and photos displaying on them or you can set them to update from the internet with various real adverts.

Personally I think it does add a touch of realism to games and I especially found this when I first saw the mods for Vice City where you could add McDonalds and other restaurants around the city. THis wasnt official though so it kind of made you feel like your city was just a bit more real and customised than the average.
Actually having adverts forced down your throat is a different matter all together! So for me....just for putting that advert in a game and shoving it down my throat they can stick that film up their fucking arses. Afterall, you paid for the game didnt you? Its not like the TV where they have to put in ads to make money to put the shows on.

Still with that said, any DVD you buy thesedays has a ton of ads on it and some even throw in a little sneaky block to stop you skipping them.

In games I think these features should be entirely optional. I dont mind having signs about for Fako-Cola and that sort of thing.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:54 pm

hmmm..

imagine playing a war game and ronald mcdonald comes up to you and say "you want fries with that?"

geeze :?
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to General Banter