Changing your motherboard?…

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

Changing your motherboard?…

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:32 pm

…if so then this may be of interest to you.

Just read over at Guru3D that the cunts over at Microsoft have now decided that if you change your motherboard, then you will need a new Windows License.

“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.”

Head on over there and check out the full story for yourself.

Personally, I think this is a joke! If I buy the operating system, then it’s mine, to do what I like with it. If upgrade my systems completely at least once per year, do I now have to add the extra cost of a License too?? I can only see this persuading more people to use pirated versions than ever.

Well done again, Microsoft!

Its not as if the company doesnt make enough money as it is without forcing people to buy a new license when they make a hardware upgrade. It should be fully within your rights to install the fucking OS on whatever machine you see fit. As long as its not more than one machine per licence....but who does that....ahem....

***UPDATE***

Having done a lot of fishing around, I have seen several posts on other forums that this may be bull. Several of the posters were able to replace their motherboard without issue. However, whether this has not been put into action yet, remains to be seen.

The jury is out at the moment. If I can find something more concrete I will post it up.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:10 pm

Personally, I think this is a joke! If I buy the operating system, then it’s mine, to do what I like with it. If upgrade my systems completely at least once per year, do I now have to add the extra cost of a License too?? I can only see this persuading more people to use pirated versions than ever.

What this does this mean for hardware companies? Surely less people will want to buy new hardware.
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby ivwshane on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:26 pm

First off let's not get too alarmed here.

This is for the OEM version of windows only. And while many of us here may buy oem copies, OEM copies are not intended to be used by joe smoe, they are intended to be used by system builders (large and small). Having said that, all this new license means is that now the mobo has been designated as the heart of the system and is what is considered to be the computer. Since an OEM license has always only been allowed to be installed on one system (just like windows for dell computers, you can't take that license and use it on some home made computer) they are now just defining what the system is.

So in reality this is a minor change in policy.

So how does this affect people like us who buy oem for personal use because it's cheaper? Well since we haven't been following the license rules in the first place it really doesn't apply to us.

If we reinstall the OS on our computer and we've replace the mobo, the activation process will flag us and we will most likely need to call MS to get our system activated. What do we say if they question us on using the same key with a different mobo? Simple, we lie and tell them the the original mobo died and this was the only replacement we could get for it.

Some will say (and I hope it's no one here), "but I don't want to have to lie to microsoft" and if that's the case then you shouldn't be using the OEM version of windows for your personal use and you should have purchased the full retail version of windows so shut your fat hypocrite mouth.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Return to General Banter