Is 2 gigs of RAM really worth it??

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

Is 2 gigs of RAM really worth it??

Postby Silverhaze on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:39 pm

How much RAM should be enough for comfortable work of an up-to-date platform? Most today’s systems are equipped with 512MB or 1GB of RAM. This amount of memory has been quite sufficient recently for work in most contemporary applications. However, the memory makers and retailers started pushing forward the idea that today’s systems need as much as 2GB of SDRAM. Is it really so? Some people believe it makes sense, some don’t, but it is us who will be digging out the truth.

You can read the rest of the article at X-bit Labs
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:40 pm

This is a good read, and something I had wondered myself.

Unfortunately it says "yes" for power users, and I have just upgraded to 1 GB myself.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby KoHC on Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:00 am

Currently running 2GB myself. Honestly, for the price, it's not worth the trouble. You gain few fps across most FPS games, shorten application loading time about few seconds. The only advantage I can think of is ability to turn off paging files and use RAM alone. But again, not worth the extra money for 2GB RAM.

Also, keep in mind that if you're using DDR the extra money you spend today will be useless in less than half year. Once AMD jump to DDR2 platform your DDR RAM will be useless. Unless you're willing to invest extra to use solid state RAMDrive.

I feel the article is just manufacturer's way to push out the overstock inventory. Especially those 1GB sticks they can't drop the price but can't get rid of them quick enough with current pricing.
KoHC
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Return to General Banter