setting up sound equipment woes

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

setting up sound equipment woes

Postby were on Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:45 pm

ok , irecenly bought a receiver for the tv so i can hear sound/music from all 5 speakers.i have no problem getitng it to work,its getting the ps2 to work that is a bitch.

ill try to go into "detail",so any help you can give me is appreciated.

the sound receiver i have can recognize the vcr and the dvd,but NOT the ps2(only the sound,not the video)vcr goes to av1,dvd to av2 and the game until to av3,but for soem reason,there is no picture showng when i turn on the system

all the audio/video cable is fine..plugged in the way it is setup.

I also,have,fro a sepearte system is a unit that can switch automaticlaly to the appropriate avi when it is turned on(more like an avi box),such as the dvd.if i hook up the ps2 to there,without the sound reciever hooked up,its works just fine(with picture),but no 5 speakers of course

there is only 1 video input on the tv(if you hook up audio video cables to it and its only a few years old.

i also try to hook up the av unit(with the cables) to the receiver and stil only get sound but no picture

i drew a "cruel" image how i had it setup(well its suppose to be for the unit)

also i like to point out that hooking up to the ps2 normally to the tv will still NOT show any picture but sound.only way i cna get it to work is hooking up the avi unit to it.a ssoon as the ps2 is own it automativally detect it an di can play it but without the reciever

also too that the wirres from the tv to vcr are the cable and that black cable.the avi until also has the cable in/tv out too :(
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby adidas on Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:02 pm

since the vcr works fine, can you run the ps2 through the inputs on the back of the vcr?

Then you should be able to switch to av1 and play it in surround?
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Zep on Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:25 am

And our tech man says....
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Jewboy on Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:14 am

On my reciever it won't change the video input, (ie s-video input = s-video output, RCA in = RCA out) they only switch between input not convert them. My TV has 4 inputs so its not a real drama as i use S-video as AV1 and RCA as AV2 you can buy an S-video to RCA adapter and a RCA Splitter/Joiner and combine the two video signals from the amp if you only have the 1 input on the TV. Otherwise you will need to run both cables to the TV which is how i have it setup.
Jewboy
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby were on Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:05 pm

adidas wrote:since the vcr works fine, can you run the ps2 through the inputs on the back of the vcr?

Then you should be able to switch to av1 and play it in surround?

in the back of the vcr, there are no more avi inputs(only ones were in the receiver,but there is some front avi connectors out at the FRONT of the vcr

i put the ps2 connectors and when i press on the machine,it """worked"",took awhile to get the surround sound going,but for soem VERY odd reason, i lost 3/4 of the channels on the vcr and the damn menu option wont let me program back in

anyway, i unplug the vcr and wait a bit so i can re program the channels back in(its a cheap durabrand vcr).i thought i already tried that optiosn before with the fornt connetors,but for soem reason,it works now..lol

thanks for the advice,i rented soul caliber 3 for today and im going to "feel the experience" first hand..

much obliged :D
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:16 pm

Jewboy wrote:On my reciever it won't change the video input, (ie s-video input = s-video output, RCA in = RCA out) they only switch between input not convert them. My TV has 4 inputs so its not a real drama as i use S-video as AV1 and RCA as AV2 you can buy an S-video to RCA adapter and a RCA Splitter/Joiner and combine the two video signals from the amp if you only have the 1 input on the TV. Otherwise you will need to run both cables to the TV which is how i have it setup.

the way i have my dvd setup is i have my s-video connected to the tv and my audio cables to the receiver.youtr suppose to connect the vidoe cables to the sound equipment but why bother :) .still works if i select "video" or input on the tv.the new tv i mentioned before is upstairs while the 2-3 year old tv is moved downstairs.ick..lol

the sound equipment i bought is roughly 99 bucks here,nothing too fancy and i dont want it that loud.pain in the arse to setup the speakers properly but all 5 speakers came through nicely.really wish the tv i have has more than 1 "video",could have solved my problems rather quickly.

if i think about it,it does make sense to connect the ps2 to the vcr(has to be on and on tv/video),cause the cables are connected to it.pretty much needed it of yuo want to see it on the screen :P

one drawback on the receiver is it sucks power even on "standbye" mode,which sucks ass :lol:
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Jewboy on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:57 am

I understand that you don't want to spend too much on other gear but i'd invest in one of those basic push button video switchers, that way you plug all you other gear into it then just press the button for the one you want. I've got a Xbox,PS2,Game cube and Sat TV receiver all plugged into a switch and it is plugged into the VCR port on my amp.All the other ports are filled and its the only one except the front ports (i don't want cables out the front) that has video switching. It works fine this was as its usually only one game system you play at a time anyway and will save you a little on your power bill as you won't need the VCR to be on to use your PS2. This way also gives you future expansion capabilities. But remember what i've said about the video signals not being converted, only very high end gear will do that.
Jewboy
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby were on Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:49 pm

Jewboy wrote:I understand that you don't want to spend too much on other gear but i'd invest in one of those basic push button video switchers, that way you plug all you other gear into it then just press the button for the one you want. I've got a Xbox,PS2,Game cube and Sat TV receiver all plugged into a switch and it is plugged into the VCR port on my amp.All the other ports are filled and its the only one except the front ports (i don't want cables out the front) that has video switching. It works fine this was as its usually only one game system you play at a time anyway and will save you a little on your power bill as you won't need the VCR to be on to use your PS2. This way also gives you future expansion capabilities. But remember what i've said about the video signals not being converted, only very high end gear will do that.

not onlythe receiver is giving me trouble but the tv as well.the brand name of the tv is sears,and you probably know about this,but they stop making "sears" tv's(well,at least other companies have stopped making sears tv's :P )
but yes,youare correct,if you want more compatibility,you have to pay a bit more.the brand receiver i have is venturer,and from what i seen on their website,its the cheapest you can get
you get what you paid for :wink: .ill keep that in mind if i upgrade in the upcoming future..thanks again for the advice :wink:
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to General Banter