Call of Duty 2

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

Call of Duty 2

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:07 am

OMG!!!

Well following Zep's lead I downloaded the Deviance version of this little beauty. Now, I havent played a great deal of it yet and I have to admit it took me a while to get round to it because I managed to convince myself it wasnt gonna run very nice on my system.

I couldnt have been more wrong.

Its totally smooth. Yeah I get the same problem with the sort of ghosting effect but its not nearly as bad as HL2. The graphics are pretty sweet with nice facial animations, great movement for the majority of the time.

Im still playing the russian missions which take place mostly in the city with narrow streets, bombed buildings and no discernable front line. It starts off slightly linear so there isnt much opportunity to check out the quality of the enemy AI due to lack of flanking options and such. I can say though, it feels like you would expect real warfare to feel.

You dont really get much time to think about things and taking out one German nearly always results in another taking his place. Even soldiers you take down with a couple of shots can sometimes drag themselves away from you while randomly firing at you with their pistols like Tom Hanks in the end of Private Ryan shooting at the tank.

Stuff like that gives you a more realistic feeling where you always put a couple of extra shots into somebody you just took out to make sure they are truly dead.

Now, personally I think it could do with a bit more blood. A bit of spatter on the walls and floor would add to the realism but the red clouds of spray that fly out are pretty good and you can mostly tell when you've hit somebody unless they are really far away.

By far though, the most impressive thing about this game is the sound. Its absolute mayhem. Theres shots flying over your shoulder, explosions, richocheting bullets whizzing about and manic people shouting all around you pointing out areas of danger, new enemies and commands. Then theres the shouts from Fritz too! You can creep up on a room and hear them talking inside before luzzing a grenade in there and hearing the shouts of terror and surprise. Its totally overwhelming just as its supposed to be.
Pump up the speakers a bit and give that sub you got collecting dust under your desk a good workout because its totally worth it.
Now, Im only working with stereo speakers and a sub and even that is impressive enough!!

If you liked the original Call of Duty then this is just like that one x10. Better graphics by quite a long way, far superior sound and the feeling of the mayhem of warfare is so well done I just cant wait to get home tonight and play it some more.
In fact, I would much rather play this than creep around dropping logs in FEAR. Now isnt that something? :D :D :D :D
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:37 pm

I knew this game would kick ass. The first one was prtty linear but that didn't spoil it one bit.
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:49 pm

Yeah Im only on about the 3rd or 4th Ruski mission but Im fully gripped already. Its hardcore man.
You get all bent up over your keyboard studying the screen for movement in the rubble. When you stop playing you really have step back and take a deep breath. Its intense, especially as they have done away with health bars. It works a bit like Halo now where if you can find some cover you can recover.
When you get shot your screen shakes, goes blurry and red and you have to get cover before another couple of shots finishes you.
It may sound unrealistic but then so is getting shot to shit and running about picking up med kits. Theres only so much a bandage can do lol
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:10 pm

God bless CoD2

What a cheeky little number this one is!!

Heres some nice shots I took for anybody that hasnt had a go of it yet.

Just got smacked by a shell, time to wake up!
That mouth is just big enough for a bullet
Planes, dust, noise.
Closer planes, dust, noise, sea.
Sunset from a tank turret. It gets noisy soon and a bit dusty too but no planes.
The smoke looks just as good up close too.
Do you take this Jerry to be your lawful wedded husband?
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:17 pm

Just got this yesterday, it's fucking brilliant. Everybody get this now.
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:14 pm

Doesn't look like something my PC can handle.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to General Banter