Musicians tell fans how to beat copy-protected CDs

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

Musicians tell fans how to beat copy-protected CDs

Postby Class316 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:53 pm

NEW YORK (Billboard) -- Major labels Sony BMG and EMI are releasing more and more new CDs that block fans from dragging their tunes to iPods.

Now, in the most bizarre turn yet in the record industry's piracy struggles, stars Dave Matthews Band, Foo Fighters and Switchfoot -- and even Sony BMG, when the label gets complaints -- are telling fans how they can beat the system.

Sony BMG Music Entertainment now regularly releases its new U.S. titles on CDs protected with digital rights management (DRM) that dictates which file formats consumers can use to digitally copy the music. MP3 is not one of those formats. The DRM also limits how many copies of the files consumers can make.

EMI Music is testing a similar initiative for wide-scale use by 2006.

But these decisions are not sitting well with some of the artists whose CDs have been secured. A number of leading acts are using their Web sites to instruct fans on how to work around the technology. (Others, including Jermaine Dupri, have expressed support for anti-copying efforts.)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/10/0 ... index.html
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:15 am

Haha make up your bloody minds!

I was using Soundforge the other day to rip out some songs from a CD and then convert them.

Then my MP3 licence ran out. It probably just requires a dll file or something to be replaced but I cant be bothered to look for one.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:03 am

plenty of freeware rippers out there :P
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:19 am

doesnt the program Anydvd bypass the protection of music cd's? you can use that in conjunction with other programs to make ur cd's
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to General Banter