OLD School-Dragonquest 5(translated)

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

OLD School-Dragonquest 5(translated)

Postby were on Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:20 pm

been awhile i post a topic like this, so here we go:

ahh the series dragonwarrior,cant get old school as this.The translators of dejap translated a rather lenthly words to bring this to our attention..Dragonquest 5(snes).For some "god-damn" reason,Enix nevered bothered to release this game over here,and thats a shame, cause this is a real gem.

The game starts you off being born(how touching),then your mom dies(not touching..pretty common in most japan games isnt it?).You go around your your dad for about 8-10 years on a ship,then you arrive on land,and thats where the adventure begins.The game goes through 30 years in the "heroes" life and its pretty involving through his happiness,friends and tragedy.

Unlike dragonquest 3-4,you get only 3 chars to fight but can be switched anytiem during battle(like dragonquest 4).You hardly ever get humans to join you this time around,you get monsters to join you to help you in your battles.You can equip them with armor and wepons and get spells,skills as well.

(Ill post some pics later when i find the site that cna upload the pics)

Graphics-nothing too fancy.They really remind me of the nintendo graphics.Kinda..bad,but simpletic.I like them 8/10

Sound/Music- pretty bland also.Even had some of the nes fighitng sounds.Nothing good here 5.5/10

Gameplay- the story pretty good.I wont say much.You get alot fo gold this time around form monsters,so upgrading your items is no problem 8/10

I got this rom at demonoid(har dto find snes games).You should look into it..at least fplay it for afew hours.You wont regret it.:)

http://www.dqshrine.com
DRAGONQUEST/warrior shrine:
has some great info..especially the kind of troubles Enix faced :(
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:19 pm

Thanks for bringing our attention to it.

Im glad to be back, bloody internet went down with a hardware fault in an exchange box somewhere for a few days
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:14 pm

http://www.fileUPYOURS.com?Dragon_Quest_5_0000.gif

http://www.fileUPYOURS.com?Dragon_Quest_5_0002a.gif

im having a hard time displaying them on this board..sorry for the cheap links
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:04 am

haha no problem. A pic of a battle would have been nice though.

You can always try this place. THey seem to work great although Im not entirely sure how long they keep the images for. It probably says on the site somewhere.

http://www.imageshack.us/
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:40 am

wow, that's SNES? Looks like NES graphics
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:44 pm

getting certain monsters to join you is a real bitch by tself.Tryed so many times to get "healer" and 'curer" to join me(with all the monste lure" but no avail

however i did gave my slime knight my "metal-babble sword".Ill post a battle screen,but dont get yor hopes up.Looks EXCATELY like the nes.

im at the point where my char get smarried(you get to choose).No big change in the finale,but you do get kids...

ill try to get "shack" later.Now i need soem comp rest after cleaning out all the frealin adware/spyware from my comp.Either emuparadise/spikehumor gave me them.Took all "morning"!!

**EDIT**yeah i got alot of mispells..(bleh)

This screen is the battlescreen with my future wife and sliemknight.As you can see im level 99(thank you hack) but left everybody's else's xp stay the same.Beside my level,the monsters are easy so long as your the right level.

Overhead view.Hmmm, i wonder her and that knight are getitng it on?
Off topic,there is a quest to get that "Return" spell,remember that?
Last edited by were on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:33 am

i got father in the game..lets see now:

Oh god im late for my wedding..

Remember those small medals you collect before?..they can be dropped now :)

A grim future..

Meet the Slime family..as you can see,there quite happy they met me :shock:

Just click on the pics for a better view..:0 enjoy :)
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:51 am

Haha nice pics. (if you use one of the other links the site gives you, you can show the pic full size by the way)

That game looks vaguely familiar for some reason. I think maybe my brother was playing it for a while. He likes all those strange snes rpgs. I think he played through most of the final fantasy games on that system.

I think the most basic looking RPG I have played and loved is Golden Sun. I could never get the hang of organising those dijin things or whatever they are called though and couldnt beat the final boss. It regenerates to become even tougher than it was when you beat it the first time and by that point all my chars were knackered. I'd like to try the second game but I prefer RPGs to be all pretty looking like Skies of Arcadia and GrandiaII.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:03 pm

nevered played those 3 game su mentioned yet,but you can get grandia2 for pc :)
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:32 pm

Golden Sun is on the GBA. Its very good but is one of those games where you get random attacks on your party. So frustrating when you are trying to explore an area as you keep losing track of where you've been and what direction you were heading in. Each character uses these like Pokemon looking monster things that give them different magic powers. You have to combine the monsters in certain ways to get the best out of them but Ive never really worked out the best way to do it.

Skies of Arcadia is brilliant on the Dreamcast, I have no idea what the sequel on the Game Cube is like though. The only thing I didnt like about SoA is the random attack thing once again. There are some maze like levels and its easy enough to get lost without the game changing to battle mode all the time. The special effects and magic movies in the game are great fun to watch but you cant skip them which gets tiresome towards the end of the game..

Grandia 2 is pretty nice also. Its a bit like SoA but you can actually see the monsters running about so if you really want to you can avoid any contact with them.

I dunno what games for PC there are that are anything like those games. Im not really keen on the Baldaurs Gate style games.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:11 pm

hmm..the games sound interesting :)).i heard someething about soa for gamecube :)
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to General Banter