China: bye bye google!

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

China: bye bye google!

Postby Class316 on Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:20 am

BEIJING (Reuters) - China appears to have blocked leading search engine Google ( news - external web site), sparking speculation of a crackdown on Internet content viewed as subversive ahead of a Communist Party congress in November.

The U.S.-based Web site, which has become popular among Internet surfers in China because of its simplicity and ability to run thorough Chinese-language Web searches, was inaccessible via Chinese servers as early as Saturday, users said.

"It's being blocked out of Beijing," said one industry insider, who follows China's regulation of the Internet closely and used his computer to confirm and pinpoint the block.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... oogle_dc_1
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby neon_sonic on Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:12 pm

More fucking communist shit. A lot of these human rights issues will hopefully be solved or at least loosened up once the Olympics come to Beijing in 2008.
neon_sonic
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Postby adidas on Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:36 am

I fail to see how the Olympics could solve anything for anyone... especially China.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby neon_sonic on Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:29 pm

adidas wrote:I fail to see how the Olympics could solve anything for anyone... especially China.

Maybe not with this particular issue, but they won't be able to keep up all of the ridiculous human rights issues they have there because of all of the foreign people that will be in their country. It won't solve everything, but they will have to relax their rules some for this event.
neon_sonic
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Postby Damian on Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:13 pm

This incident I remember quite clearly. I am sure most of you are aware of the two child (Or is it one?) limit per couple in China in order to keep down the amazing birth rate over there. Usually if you go over your limit they downgrade your social status (as they are communist, this is simple) moving you to a smaller dwelling etc if you break these rules. This episode takes the cake however:

Extreme Birth Control

I doubt the officials involved even got a slap on the wrist, certainly when I remember reading about it; no sort of incrimination was mentioned.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby jajig on Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:53 pm

That was a bit harsh. Personally I don't think I could be that mean but I've never been in a situation where I've had to drown a baby.
jajig
PCB Newbie
PCB Newbie

Postby Silverhaze on Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:30 pm

You dont think??

Damn I know for definate that I couldnt kill a baby! If I had the choice of myself and a baby then I know which I would choose.
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:29 pm

DamianMoran wrote:This incident I remember quite clearly. I am sure most of you are aware of the two child (Or is it one?) limit per couple in China in order to keep down the amazing birth rate over there.

Its just the one child per couple limit, which apparently causes a large amount of orphaned girls as parents ditch them without registering so they can try again for a boy.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Class316 on Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:05 pm

RabidYak wrote:Its just the one child per couple limit, which apparently causes a large amount of orphaned girls as parents ditch them without registering so they can try again for a boy.

And where do these babies end up??? Stupid American families with a guilt complex who end up adopting them :evil: :evil: !! Instead of getting oppressed White kids from South Africa and Zimbabwe they leave them out to die there and go for the CHINESE :cry: :cry:
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby geesehoward on Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:56 pm

oh boy

*ducks for cover*

"the whole world's about to end over a goddamn puppy"- Paranoia Agent
geesehoward
PCB General
PCB General

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:03 am

You feel so strongly about it class then YOU fucking adopt one and stop complaining about the people that dont.

If something needs doing properly then do it your fucking self or stop whinging about it.

Better still, get your arse out to where the oppressed kids are and start helping. God knows it would get you out from under our feet at least.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Class316 on Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:07 pm

Silverhaze wrote:You feel so strongly about it class then YOU fucking adopt one and stop complaining about the people that dont.

If something needs doing properly then do it your fucking self or stop whinging about it.

Better still, get your arse out to where the oppressed kids are and start helping. God knows it would get you out from under our feet at least.

Just an FYI, I am going to adopt a child in South Africa (White of course!). There are plenty of needy White kids there, just not the easiest thing to do (at least not as easy as China)
Last edited by Class316 on Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:46 pm

Good for you then :D
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to General Banter