Video game music goes mainstream

Anything, and everything.

Moderator: Zep

Video game music goes mainstream

Postby Class316 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:37 pm

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Violinists playing sweetly beneath her, the video game heroine Lara Croft has two guns blazing and the full attention of 10,000 people at the Hollywood Bowl.

The animated star of "Tomb Raider" games, which have collectively sold more than 30 million copies, unflinchingly braves explosions on a giant TV screen that hangs, incongruously, above the Los Angeles Philharmonic orchestra.

At the bizarre yet beautiful debut performance of Video Games Live, the sotto voce murmurs of the "Tomb Raider" theme give way to choir-assisted crescendos then to more crowd-pleasing music and images from other games.

The spectacle, which promoters say will be performed by similarly topflight orchestras in more than 15 cities in the coming months, is just the latest sign that songs written for the interactive gaming world are blasting out of consoles and into the mainstream.

Orchestra concerts of music from "Final Fantasy" games -- a long-running role-playing series with a cult-like following -- have sold out venues nationwide.

Video games with their rising budgets are now attracting serious composing talent. Scoring for traditional television may soon enough be playing second fiddle.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.games/ ... index.html
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:56 pm

that blackcats has ALL? the final fantasy music(6 gigs)>soon a sim leechin mame .99, im getting that asap

wonderful music

hell i even downloaded the faimcom tunes as well..brings back memories.:0
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to General Banter