Best Horizontal Shooters

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

Best Horizontal Shooters

Postby Damian on Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:59 am

As some of you know, one topic that I am quite interested in; is the best games of this genre, as I DO enjoy decent examples. Here are a few:

Xexex

Graphics:

I was very impressed the first time I saw this (in MAME, not the arcade), and continue to be. It does not contain that much scaling, but instead features extremely detailed sprites with beautiful translucent effects. At the time of it's release (1991), it really set the standard for simple beauty. If you can, try and get to the (fourth?) level which features bizarre waterfalls in the sky, very good example of transparency.

Sound:

Very catchy, punchy aurals as usual for Konami.

Play:

I always get them mixed up, but I think the Japanese version is much more difficult than world, so try and stay away unless you want a real challenge. Your ship has an almost organic like "cannon" that you can either keep on the nose for charge beams, or let loose to home in on the enemies.

Darius Gaiden - Silver Hawk

Graphics:

Well this game is made by Taito, what does that tell us? Expect some serious hardware trickery, mainly in the ever so fun sprite scaling department. See that fish up above? Is it polygons.. or sprites? Polygons.. or Sprites?!? It is of course sprites, but the transitional zooming effects are so well done you would barely believe it (have a look!). The marine theme is very well maintained throughout the game, with most enemies (and all bosses) being some of robotic marine life. At one point in the game there is a massive squid inside a nosecone that takes up over 5 screens in it's enormity.

Sound:

Interesting this one, the first level kicks off with some rarely heard (in electronic form) female vocals, and generally a fairly high level of sound quality throughout.

Play:

Longevity certainly plays a factor here, as the player gets to choose from a gradually expanding grid their next destination. This of course means that there are dozens of ways to get to over 6 different final zones! The weapon powerups could do with being a tad more powerful at times though, as the on-screen action does get very fierce at times (although, the bomb is very effective sucking all enemies and ballistics into a central void before blasting them).

R-Type Leo

Graphics:

At last, R-Type has grown up! Very nice large, chunky, and colourful sprites here; includes some nice parallax scrolling as well.

Sound:

Urm, not too bad... but not too great either. I am not sure if this is even properly emulated yet?

Play:

To start off I am going to admit a terrible truth, I was never a fan of the original series! Yes I know it is one of the most famous shooters in the world and all that, but those terrible restart points were just killers! Don;t make it to a certain point, get killed, and start off at the beginning again! Well anyway, thankfully Irem have overcome that limitation in this game; and now I can finally find out how playable the formula is... very. Unfortunately I really do need to play this game more to make any further commentation :).

Ok, that should start the lot off nicely; now if you can think of any HORIZONTAL shooters you think deserve a mention, please include an 800X600 pic (or 600x480 if your monitor is tiny), and just say a few words about them ;).
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby ivwshane on Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:52 pm

I've never seen that first one, I'm going to have to try it out.

You know DM you should open a mame reivew site that features not well known games that are good.

Usually about twice a week I go through mame picking random games to play hoping to find a lost gem but with so many games it's hard.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby RabidYak on Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:10 am

Havent got the means to post pics at the moment, but i'm sure you already know and have these games.

R-Type is still my top side scrolling shooter. Massive nostalgia value, excellent music, shameless test of skill and great bosses. Never thought the sequels were much kop though, R-Type 2 was pretty poorly designed, R-Type 3 has great music but not much else and I cant stand the new weapons system in R-Type LEO. Never played R-Type Delta though, i'll probably pick it up if I see it going really cheap.

Forgotten Worlds is my second favorite. Fairly unique gameplay and good design are the main reasons. Only gripe is that the music in the arcade version is lame compared to the ST port.

Always liked Dragon Breed as well, despite not being able to get very far into it. It basically R-Type with a dirty great dragon and the the playing area can be scrolled a bit vertically as well to account for his size. Some of the other second-string Irem shooters like X-Multiply, Gallup and In the Hunt are all worth a gander as well.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:15 am

blazing lasers for turbo-graphic 16..and paradious wasnt bad either.
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby adidas on Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:12 pm

One of the best horizontal shooters has to be In the Hunt..

It's visually impressive.. I especially like the trails that follow the torpedos. However, there isn't much time to appreciate the graphics, it's an extremely hard game. Or I just suck...

I really need to get farther in this game before I can write a good review.

I don't have a place to upload the shot at the moment
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Damian on Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:14 pm

Anyone who needs images uploaded just mail me.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby ivwshane on Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:21 am

ESP Ra. De is a really nice 3 button vertical shooter that requires a little bit of strategy besides the standard bullet dodge.

ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby jajig on Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:39 pm

I should put this in with consoles but I wont :P
This was one of the first shooters I played on the NES.

Graphics: In its day the graphics were better than average from the detail on your ship and enemies to the big arse bosses the old 8 bit was made to look alright.

Sound: Nothing to write home about. The standard *beep* *bop* *BOOM!* affair for shooters.

Gameplay: Fly around and shoot stuff get power ups real simple and yet so good.

Difficulty: Now this game is harder than a motherfucker!

Overall: With tons of power-ups, big bosses (like a giant brain) and more challenge than you can poke a stick at this game is a winner!
jajig
PCB Newbie
PCB Newbie

Postby Damian on Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:15 am

First we have ivwshane posting a tiny pic of a vertical game, and now jajig not posting a pic at all.

Lame control to Major Tom!
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby ivwshane on Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:09 am

If you wan't to see better pics then play it!! I know you have the game :twisted:
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby were on Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:21 am

too bad we couldnt upload the pics to a undisclosed server and use that to post the pics here..

But that is just CrAzY

:smash:
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:09 am

How can you miss out the almighty Prehistoric Isle??

Graphics

Not too bad at all considering the age. (1989) SNK have done a nice job with the sprites and scenery of the game with good artwork and variety throughout the game.

Sound

Nothing outstanding really in terms of music but its nothing that will have you turning off your speakers. There are some entertaining dinosaur sounds in there too which arnt of a bad quality really.

Play

Truly entertaining once you get the nack of the weapons system. (an multibody pod that floats round your craft and moves through 8 positions firing different weapons from each position). The bosses are nicely varied from the (rather feeble but still naughty if you dont get the timing right) first boss pictured above to the jumping T-Rex and the Unknown species end boss of the game. Weird.
Still, with all this once you have completed the game once or twice maybe it will be a long time before you come back for more. Its also more fun with a friend. There isnt that much in the way of replayability here but its fun while it lasts and will always appear on my favourites list as a decent credit muncher! :wink:
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Arcade Emulation