Ball starts rolling on CPS3 (SF3, JoJo, Warzard)

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

Ball starts rolling on CPS3 (SF3, JoJo, Warzard)

Postby RabidYak on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:25 pm

I can't post the link because the boards word filter changes part of it to coon, but it looks like one of MAME's encryption ninjas has done the business on CPS3 and got the system booting.

It'll probably be a few months before they get it all worked out assuming they don't run into any nasty stumbling blocks, but thats half the battle done and its even better if they did it without having to attack original boards that kill themselves off at the first sign of trouble.

On a related note, i'd recommend hitting up NullDC if anyone wants to play MVC2 or the CVS games. Its much better then Chankast ever was and the Dreamcast was practically the same hardware as the arcade system they ran on in the first place.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Re: Ball starts rolling on CPS3 (SF3, JoJo, Warzard)

Postby Damian on Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:02 am

Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby ivwshane on Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:34 am

Yep I just saw this too!!!

Finally, hopefully, sfIII third strike will be emulated!

ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Zep on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:12 am

Excellent, I've been waiting for an arcade fix of MvsC2 and SFIII.
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Damian on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:15 am

Zep wrote:Excellent, I've been waiting for an arcade fix of MvsC2 and SFIII.

No MvsC2, just those games in the topic I'm afraid. MVsC was CPS2 and MvsC2 was Naomi iirc.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby RabidYak on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:03 pm

Just for information purposes, I just bagged all the currently available dumps and it totals around 600 meg. That'll inevitably go up as they chase down the various revisions and region varients, plus it'll all probably be doubled up in NVRAM files when it starts working since CPS3 does that wacky thing when it uploads the data into said RAM and access it from there instead of running directly from the CD and cartridge.

As far as Arcade MVC2 goes, I woulden't go waiting for it and there isn't really much point in doing so since the Dreamcast version is almost exactly the same thing with added home amenities. I'd find it hard to believe that playable NAOMI emulation isn't possible in a stand alone emulator if the right folks sat down and worked on it, but I doubt anyone is going to touch the GD-ROM version for now since ASW/SS are still using it for new versions of Guilty Gear XX.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Found a torrent

Postby Zep on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:00 pm

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby RabidYak on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:49 pm

Progess is moving so fast at the moment that I'd recommending sitting it out for a few more days. The current 0.0a version of ElSemi's test emulator is already behind current progress despite only coming out a few days ago, plus two code updates for the MAME driver have already been posted since it showed up in the latest official release on Wednesday.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Zep on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:32 pm

It plays very smooth, just a few graphical anomalies that need fixing and CPS3 is fully emulated. Why the Hell did it take so long?

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby RabidYak on Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:45 pm

The original game cartridges die very easily and nobody knew how it worked, which meant that any sort of hardware attack would most likely have killed the games without yielding any usefull information. Fortunatly they have been doing a load of encyption breaking recently and that probably gave them the practice they needed to do this without needing any of that hassle.

Theres still allot to do with the emulation. Better sound, layer priorities, blending, accurate booting, a couple of the games crashing and apparently the speed isn't right in Third Strike. The Colour paletes are sorted in MAME now, but the zooming still needs work.

Edit - New version of ElSemi's emu just out, i'll be having a look tommorow since I just turned my gaming PC off.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Return to Arcade Emulation