Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting goes on-line

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting goes on-line

Postby Zep on Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:27 pm

Capcom hypes SFII for Xbox 360
Capcom ports Turbo Hyper Fighting edition of arcade classic, attempts to duplicate arcade experience with new online mode.

In Bill Gates' keynote speech at the Consumer Electronics Show, the Microsoft founder and chief software architect casually mentioned that Street Fighter II would be coming to the Xbox 360 via Xbox Live Marketplace. The impending arrival of Capcom's seminal fighting game classic piqued the interest of Street Fightin' men (and women) everywhere, but Gates' announcement immediately raised a number of questions. Would it be one of the upgraded iterations of the game instead of the original? Would it be playable online over Xbox Live? Would it cost an arm and a leg? Some of those questions received answers today, and they are "yes," "yes," and "maybe."

While no price tag was announced, Capcom has confirmed that Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting (known in the arcades as Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting) will become available over the Xbox Live Marketplace, with a number of new features (including online play) sometime in early 2006. In addition to the Xbox Live standard quick match and optimatch, Hyper Fighting will include a new quarter match option.

Intended to replicate the arcade experience, quarter matches will let two players duke it out while a group of spectators wait for their own chance to dethrone the reigning champ--similar to the online mode of the Xbox 360's only fighting game so far, Dead or Alive 4. Just as in the arcades, onlookers will be able to watch the brawls while they wait their turn, trash-talking the fighters or discussing strategy. Players' "quarters" will be used to represent their spot in line.

Before entering a quarter match, players will be able to choose ranked or unranked matches to determine whether or not stats will be tracked for the Xbox Live leaderboards. Beyond the somewhat common all-time and monthly leaderboards, Hyper Fighting will include rankings broken down by character, as well as a board for the most consecutive wins.

Capcom is also promising more than 10 online and offline achievements to reward players for meeting certain tasks, and a "feature limited" demo version will allow gamers to play single matches with two playable characters

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2006/01/06 ... 42004.html

So the best 2D 1-on-1 Capcom fighter makes it on the XBOX360.

I'm glad to know that such an old game still has it's appeal and it leaves me with a warm feeling knowing that more and more people would not have missed this piece of gaming history.
God gave me everything I want!

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:00 pm

Must be fun with an Xbox360 pad. :roll:
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Sabin on Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:44 pm

Silverhaze wrote:Must be fun with an Xbox360 pad. :roll:

Actually i use my 360 pad on my pc and mac with mame and it works great. The DOA4 arcade stick is good too especially for older games like track and field where the big buttons are a huge help.
Sabin
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby were on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:03 pm

this should have been done in the ps2/xbox days

wll there be an interest? :?
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:14 pm

Apparantly so. People are going pretty mad over that Xbox Live Arcade thing. Sounds like a rip off to me but then we've been doing this with PCs for years.

Get this!!! I read in Edge magazine that not only do they charge people for the game in the first place but if you want to let somebody else in your house play the game and put their own scores on the internet then they also have to buy their own copy of the game! HAHAHAHA!!!

While I think its a good idea for playing old games on a TV and its great for smaller developers to get their games sold and played which would be near impossible with the games market being as it is I still dont think I would ever use it.

Its just more money again isnt it? Pay to get online, pay for xbox live, pay for every poxy little game you wanna play which you could do on a PC for free anyway. Pah.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:28 pm

Silverhaze wrote:Its just more money again isnt it? Pay to get online, pay for xbox live, pay for every poxy little game you wanna play which you could do on a PC for free anyway. Pah.

It ends up becoming a convinience. Having a console and emulator in your living room in one little box might be cool. You'd have it on a HDTV also. I consider people like you and me lucky that we know about emulation because like you said, we been playing these games for years for the price of nada.

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby sickplicity on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:07 pm

"Bad News for HF on Live Arcade
Published by inkblot March 14th, 2006

A Microsoft employee recently e-mailed Kotaku the inside dirt on some upcoming XBox 360 releases. Among other things the mole said, “Right now a lot of work is being done of Street Fight 2 [sic] because the lag is very bad and they are having trouble getting it playable online.”

This would certainly explain the delay from early march to “Q2 2006″ earlier reported by Gamespot. Given Capcom’s track record on online play, I’m not holding out much hope for this one. "

http://shoryuken.com/?p=50
sickplicity
PCB Newbie
PCB Newbie

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:47 am

Thanks Mr Bot.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Zep on Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:51 am

Why would such an old game cause so much trouble on all this modern hardware?

hmmm... maybe I just answerd my own question....

Zep
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:59 am

No Im with you on that Zep. You could never get a smooth game of any of the SF2 games back in the kaillera days. You have thought things would have improved by now though given that the game doesnt use analog controls and games like PGR3 is like liquid silk with analog controls. Surely thats a lot more data to send?!
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Arcade Emulation